Monday, July 20, 2009

Leo Likes Routine

In mid-June I took this photo of Ken and Leo, coming back from their walk down the driveway ~

Since Ken has been sick, Leo has been out of sorts. He has meowed for extended periods of time at all hours of the day and night. It hasn't helped to talk to him, take him outside, pet him, sit with him on my lap, or put him in the garage where he has his own space. Leo has not been happy; I now think that he has been aware of the chaos in the household with Ken's illness and our son's move to the west coast.

I wouldn't have believed the extent of his awareness except that this morning, for the first time in three weeks, Leo followed his usual routine: had his wet food for breakfast, "talked" with me a bit, gave himself a bath, and settled down for a nap on his favorite corner of the carpet in the living room. This was also the first time in three weeks that Ken said it felt like he could take a deep breath to fill his lungs. Right now Ken and Leo are on the deck taking in some sunshine. It looks like routine is returning to our house.

5 comments:

Kitty said...

I've found that my cats are little mirrors for me. They reflect what's going on with me. Leo sounds like a sweetie. I'm so glad his routine (and yours and Ken's) is returning to normal.

Joanne said...

I do believe animals are very tuned in to our lives. When anyone in my family is out of sorts, for pretty much any reason, our cat seems to follow that person around, linger in that person's bedroom, almost like she is worried and is trying her best to comfort. I don't doubt for one second that Leo wasn't tuned right in to your household's dilemmas. It makes our pets all the more special, doesn't it?

Putting the pieces together... said...

Its good to hear things are looking up a bit! Sorry I didn't get to stop in this weekend, but I told Kristen to send my best your way. I hope things continue to calm down. Cheerio!
kd

Carolynn Anctil said...

Animals are incredibly intuitive and empathic. They're experts at reading body language and, I believe they operate on a far superior wave length that we humans do.

I love that your cat goes for walks with your husband. That's so cool and sweet and touching.

Anonymous said...

Cats do not like changes in routine or environment. He must've missed the heck out of you guys! It's so great that he found you!