Friday, August 27, 2010

Half Of It

Half of what I write in my head never sees the light of day. There are several reasons for that:

- Sometimes it's not my story to tell. I promised myself that I would keep the focus on me.

- Sometimes it is my story but others are involved. If I discover upon closer examination that there is no way to leave them out of it, I will not write it here.

- Sometimes I whine. Who likes whining?

- Sometime it's the "same ole story." I am trying to get to the next place, and I will never be able to do that if I keep telling myself the same story. If the same theme keeps repeating itself, it's time to do things differently.

That last reason is why I wanted to see the movie Eat, Pray, Love. I remember when I read the book that Liz found herself in the same place again and again ~ waiting for something to happen, looking for what was missing in her life. I was impressed with her ability to remove herself from her daily life and travel the world, determined to find God and happiness. The book is very much about her internal journey.

The movie brings to life the places Liz visited and the people she met. The scenery is beautiful. I like Julia Roberts, and I enjoyed watching her actions and facial expressions. The vulnerability that Liz felt was obvious on the screen.

Some reviews of the movie have been critical of the emotions that Liz felt and the situations she found herself in. Those reviewers are lucky that they've never felt despair and found themselves praying on the bathroom floor in the middle of the night. Those who are critical are fortunate that they've always known who they are and what their purpose is.

I have a lot of respect for Elizabeth Gilbert's decision to chronicle her journey and share it with the world. It did become a commercial success, but she didn't know that would happen when she started out. For me, the more people I know who have been down this road the more encouraged I am to keep going.

I don't have any plans to travel to Italy, India, or Bali. I don't plan to write a book.

What I do hope to do is share more of my internal journey. Sometimes I keep quiet when I would do well to share what I am feeling and thinking. The last poem I posted was a result of literally being forced out of bed to bring how I was feeling out into the open. After a few more tears and bit more time, I felt better.

My goal is to feel better and better. The journey continues....

8 comments:

teri said...

It is interesting that you mention the praying on the bathroom floor scene. Last night felt like that. A rare night where I could not sleep or pray or even focus on my breathing. Sometimes we stay stuck for quite sometime- I can vouch for this. And I supposed this can look a bit monotonous to some - but I appreciate what you are doing. "Becoming" is a slow process. Thanks so much for posting- I promise to never think you are whining!

Anonymous said...

I like this post. Haven't seen the movie yet or read the book, but hope to get to the theater with my sister while I am in Seattle. We are all on such individual journeys. Go forth.

CaShThoMa said...

Hmmmm. I'm think that 'anonymous' is my sister.

I'd like to see the movie Eat, Pray, Love. The book was great.

Success is the quality of the journey....keep moving forward.

Cindy said...

I loved the book & film of EPL, and the connection your poem makes to that kind of pain resonated with me. I struggle with this issue every day: is life a pleasure boat ride or a struggle to survive? It's both. Every single day. Even for those of us fortunate enough to be living the American dream, whatever that is. The internal struggle is still the same. Thanks for sharing yours, it helps me get through mine.

patti said...

Thank you for sharing your emotions, dear one.

I LOVE the idea of praying on ANY floor. Think it sets the posture right in the whole thing.

You bless me.
Patti

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your post - I relate to - praying on the bathroom floor - I have prayed everywhere. Prayer is one of the things that has kept me on this planet.

Kel said...

Hi Sharon, nice to meet you via Jan and my blogs. Thanks for sharing your internal journeying. It is by sharing our stories that we learn to feel less alone, less 'abnormal' and more whole. Special stuff happens when we dare to share. Like meeting others from our soultribe :)

Dianne said...

I liked the book a lot and feel that many of us are looking for the same things. We are all trying to figure things out as we go along.