Thursday, January 27, 2011

Time Out

Last weekend Leo was very unhappy, meowing and pacing and not wanting anything to do with Ken or me. At one point he was so loud that we couldn't hear each other talk. He didn't want to settle down in any of his regular spots; he took up residence in the corner behind the television. Leo put himself in time out ~

I could see him when I got down on my hands and knees ~

He was out of reach and stayed that way for hours ~

I could understand how he felt. Sometimes we just need to be left alone. I needed a time out on Tuesday, so I took myself "out" for the day. I had errands to run, nine separate stops I needed to make. I wasn't trying to get away from anyone because there wasn't anyone at home, but I needed to be someplace else, away from my normal routine. I interacted briefly with lots of people I don't know, and I crossed everything off my to-do list. The best part of the day? Sitting in front of the floor-to-ceiling window at Barnes and Noble, eating soup and watching the sun set. Sometimes it helps to get away.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If a cat is hiding and making a lot of noise it indicates acute distress/pain. He may have been passing a kidney stone. I hope he is okay now - Is he eating?
As for you- absolutely, time spent on your own with minimal social contact is lovely! Sounds great! I need a day like that myself :)

Joanne said...

I love days like that, the to-do list all checked off, and time spent with books. Perfect.

I hope Leo's feeling better, though. Maybe all this snow is getting to him :/

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Every couple of weeks I have a day like that. Love it and feel like I am on a vacation.
Regarding being a morning person...
I am up between 4:30 and 5:00 in the morning. In bed by 8:00 for meditation and then on to sleep.
The only way I can function :)

teri said...

Sharon- you really make me smile... and so glad to hear about Leo!

my word verification- restsing--- how about that??? Rest, sing, smile....

Anonymous said...

I hope Leo is feeling better.

I would love a day spent somewhere new alone; the beach, a mountain hike...

Balisha said...

That would be me...sitting at a bookstore with a cup of soup. I love bookstores.
Balisha

mermaid said...

Sometimes running errands is easier than pacing at home with the home 'to do' list.

I'm glad you got away.

Laura said...

my sister asked me this morning if I would prefer if she and my SIL come up in March and kidnap me for the weekend or have them help me get things done in the house that I can't do on my own...I think you are helping me to decide wise one!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Poor Leo. I hope he's okay. He sure is a beautiful boy. Is he still eating & drinking alright? Sometimes they'll go off their food if they're not feeling well, but it's really important that they keep drinking. You probably know this all already. I'm just a worried Auntie, by proxy.

I love times spent alone with my own company. It's very restorative for me. Glad to hear you were able to enjoy a day on your own, just you & the sunset.

Anonymous said...

I hope Leo is OK, and that you are feeling better too. I totally agree with you about the need to get away, to pull back, so to speak. I get like that when I am overwhelmed lately. Am reading a new book by Joan Borysenko, FRIED, and it's really speaking to some of these issues. I plan to review it on my blog and in a column as soon as I am finished with it. I think I will head to a bookstore for some solitude in the meantime. Sounds good!