Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Blueberry Cake

A friend from town came for coffee this morning. It was good to have a chance to catch up on town politics and what's new in our lives. Each of us has been thinking about the other and we just needed to make time to get together.

For a treat I made my most recent go-to coffee cake, which I usually make when there will be more than one or two of us partaking of its deliciousness because I could eat much more than I should. This time of year, even before Maine's blueberries are ready, those marvelous juicy orbs are available in the produce section. And they are a super food, don't you know....

Here is the recipe from the I Remember...Recipes & Memories Cookbook published by the Maine Alzheimer's Association of Portland, Maine in 1999.

Melt In Your Mouth Blueberry Cake
from The Honorable Susan M. Collins, U.S. Senator

2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh Maine blueberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat egg whites until stiff in a small glass bowl. Add about 1/4 cup sugar to keep them stiff. Set aside. In a larger bowl cream shortening and add salt and vanilla. Add remaining sugar gradually. Add unbeaten egg yolks and beat until light and creamy. Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk. Fold in beaten whites. Fold in fresh berries lightly floured. Turn into greased 8 x 8 inch pan and sprinkle top with sugar. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.

Enjoy.

8 comments:

Laura said...

♥♥♥

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Looks so good
Wish I had your fresh blueberrys

teri said...

Don't you know I would love to sample some of your blueberry cake sometime! Sounds wonderful my friend!

Helen said...

How very timely -- we picked GA blueberries yesterday and will definitely try your recipe! Will be thinking of you when we partake.

mermaid said...

Yum! I hope you enjoyed the sweetness f that cake and good company:)

Cindy said...

Yummy!

Tee said...

I was lucky enough to be the friend who got to have a piece of that cake, and it was still warm when it was served. Oh you just cannot imagine how good. And I got to take some home. Believe me, it did not last long I assure you. Thank you Sharon both for your time and that great cake.

Anonymous said...

I can attest -- recipe is excellent with south Georgia blueberries!