Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What Do I Know?

I have been so tired.

Last night I dropped my clothes on the floor, climbed into bed, and slept for eight hours. I can't remember the last time I had a full night of uninterrupted sleep.

I woke up feeling good and started thinking about what I need to do to prepare to apply for teaching positions. I have spotted a few openings that are so tempting that I am willing to tackle all the paperwork needed to apply. Schools require written letters of reference, proof of certification, and a completed application specific to their district; and often they also ask for an applicant's philosophy of education, college transcript, sample lesson, and proof of qualification. I have decided it's time to expand my search field to once again include teaching.

The phone rang just after 8:30 a.m. It was a woman calling about an application I submitted three weeks ago for a brand new position working with community members in a town about 25 miles from here. Was I still interested in an interview? Yes. How about a meeting on October 4? I will be there.

And my day was started. I made soup, baked a pie, did laundry, and started a more detailed search for teacher openings. It is going to require some effort to pull together everything I need for applications, but at this point I need to keep going while I have some momentum building.

I feel like I don't know anything anymore in this job search process. I can't get a sense for what might work and what won't. I have no way to know who I might hear from or what they are looking for.

The only thing I know to do is to keep trying.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I like the idea of you teaching, you have a good vision of life all around you and that translates to the lessons and classroom too. I say, go for it :)

Carolynn Anctil said...

As my favourite fish, Dora, says "Keep on Swimmin'. Keep on Swimmin'."

mermaid said...

I thought that trying was really all you needed, maybe with a little bit of self-compassion for how hard it can be nowadays?

Sharon, when others close the door, may you open the one that matters, the door to your own heart.

I wish you well on your job search. It sounds complicated and tiring!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thinking of you
For some reason
I am smiling
I think it is going
to happen - soon...