Tuesday, July 30, 2013

So I Sew

A week ago we received a new phone modem.  So far so good with the internet connection. 

I am not nuts about the ring tone of the new phone, but I don't see a way to change it.  I need to record a message for the answering machine, but that means I need to read the manual.  I got as far as setting the time and date.

It took ten days for the tv and dvd player to reach the repair center.  No word yet if they can be repaired.  That process is moving more slowly than anticipated.  It's not that we watch that much tv, but we do enjoy watching dvds and streaming Netflix.

These are small inconveniences compared to what could have happened during that storm...or what could happen at any time really.  Eight days ago a house two miles down our road burned beyond repair.  The news report said the fire started in the basement and they may never know why.  Thankfully the family was camping for the weekend.  The house was less than two years old.

Millie the cat has good days and not so good days.  Some days she eats and other days she is not hungry.  She just jumped in my lap. It's amazing she still likes me, for all the medication I've dosed her with.  I get down on the floor and pet her.  I'm worried about her.

My elderly friend in town has been in the hospital since Sunday.  She is not feeling up to par, so they are working to get her back on track.  Each day the doctor has said she might be discharged.  I hope she's able to come home tomorrow.

Too many things I can't do anything about.  So I sew.  Before I left for Vermont I spent an entire day laying out the squares I had constructed for the Harmony Quilt.  I decided I wanted a solid color to border each nine block, each one different and with no pattern in how they are arranged.  I'm still looking for harmony in the chaos ~

My very favorite among all my favorites
Two nine blocks side by side

6 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Yours is the best approach. There are just some things we have no control over and we have to release it to the Universe to look after.

Is Millie a senior cat? It's so sad to watch them begin to fail. She's in good hands and clearly knows she's loved and cared for. I do hope your neighbour regains her health and is able to come home, too.

Lovely quilt.

Blessings,
Carolynn

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful quilt.
Take care
and yes
we have control of weather..

Balisha said...

What a sad home coming for that family.
I do hope that your friend is on the road to feeling better and that she is able to come home.
I love the colors in that quilt top. I made one like it for my son...in dark greens and other earth tones. He has it hanging on his wall above the stairway now...after using it for a few years. It goes with his colors in his new home...you'd think I made it for that wall.
Have a nice evening,
Balisha

RURAL said...

I see harmony, I see love, and affection, and hope for better days.

Jen

mermaid said...

"Too many things I can't do anything about. So I sew."

Like Jen's comment above, I also see harmony, love, affection, and hope for better days.

I also see a woman who can't control the outcome of certain things, but can create beauty in their midst.

Anonymous said...

"These are small inconveniences compared to what could have happened during that storm...or what could happen at any time really."

I love that line.