Sunday, February 22, 2015

February Break

I just had a week off from school. The week of Presidents' Day is school vacation for Maine students. When we first moved to Maine it seemed strange for schools to have another week off so close to Christmas vacation, but once I had kids in school I could appreciate the time off.  This was not a thing when I was growing up in Maryland.  I think they do it here because some people want to go skiing and others want to go where it's warm, but I don't know that for sure.  We just enjoyed the break in the routine when the kids were little.

I made the most of the week.  Hair cut.  Teeth cleaned.  Reading.  Sewing.  Movies. Massage.  Shopping.  Sleeping.

Of course we got more snow, so that was a good excuse to stay home for two days, which was lovely.  I've always enjoyed time at home.  These days I appreciate that time even more.

There was time to send emails, make phone calls, and write letters.

There were things I intended to do that didn't get done.  I still haven't sent Christmas cards out, for a variety of reasons, so I'm thinking I might send out looking-toward-spring cards. 

I didn't post here either, though I have taken some photos of the snow to share tomorrow.  I was waiting for something interesting or exciting to happen, but the week passed fairly quietly.  I didn't win the lottery, which was disappointing, but there's always next time.

I'll be back....


3 comments:

ellen abbott said...

a week off with no expectations? sounds great to me.

MsGraysea said...

Sounds like you had a great vacation week, Sharon. Rejuvenating, just like it should be. Teddy went back to school yesterday morning and seemed so happy to go. He'd had nearly 2 weeks off due to the snow.
I had my first day home alone since surgery. I appreciated the quiet!
The bitter cold has me housebound along with my healing knee.

Deb said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful relaxing week Sharon. Hope the snow stops soon and that Spring will soon make an appearance.