Saturday, November 14, 2015

No News

There are instances where no news would not be good news, like when you're waiting to hear about a job interview or trying to buy a house.  I have been in both of those situations and waited with baited breath for news.

In my current time and space, no news is good news. On Tuesday I was scanned, measured, mashed, and relieved of two vials of blood, and I haven't heard a word.  That's good news because if there was a concern, I think I would have heard something by now.  The results should be shared with my doctor within a week, and her office will send me a copy.  I will put the paperwork in a file and out of my mind until someone suggests it's time to get something or other checked again.

That's the scenario I choose to focus on.

This morning Ken and I were treated to brunch with friends.  They invited us to their home, crafted a delicious meal, and then took us for a long walk on wooded trails that surround their neighborhood.  It was a crisp fall day and being outside was invigorating.  I don't get that same feeling alone on the treadmill. It was engaging to walk and talk about families and books and ideas.  A thread that ran through all the topics was how fortunate we are to have good health, independent children, and opportunities to do the things we enjoy.

I had a rough day at work yesterday and there are no indications that things will get easier any time soon.  I got caught up in that and ended the day angry and frustrated. Then I got upset with myself for letting the situation get the best of me.  

Today with friends turned that thinking around.

Monday I have a paper due for my class.  That will keep me busy tomorrow, and while I work I will hold onto the feelings from today.

The journey continues ~

3 comments:

ellen abbott said...

not having access to health insurance, I have to be practically dying before I go to the doctor. I don't like going to doctors for many reasons but the cost was a major one. now that I'm on medicare I'm having trouble changing my mindset. I should probably go get a check-up but I tend towards the 'if it's not broke don't fix it' mentality.

Helen said...

Life is full of moments...
...that cause us to hold our breath waiting for relief and knowledge that it's OK to exhale.

...of frustration and the need to bite our tongue as we summon peace and tranquility from deep within.

Thank goodness for the calming moments that come along to remind us that "this too shall pass," life really is good, and time with friends matters.

Wisewebwoman said...

Yes, no news is good news to me too :) Long may it hold for you my dear :)

XO
WWW