Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Thousand Mornings

I took myself to the movies tonight.  It was a day among days when life keeps happening, in a good way but busy.  I wanted a quiet couple of hours to be someplace away without the hassle of packing and traveling.  The movie provided an elegant escape.  I recommend Belle, a perfectly paced story of true events in England more than two hundred years ago.  The lead actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw is a pleasure to watch.

* * * * * * * * * *
There are two books from California still to write about.  For today I picked the one that slows my heartbeat and gives me a moment to pause with each reading.  I've never met a book of poems by Mary Oliver that I didn't like, and this book is no exception.  A Thousand Mornings (2012) was a delightful find; every time I pick it up I see something new, sometimes in a poem I've already read. 

I thought this evening about why Oliver's poems strike such a chord with me.  She doesn't gloss over the hard stuff.  She writes about all of it, the real parts of life that bring us joy and sadness and all the feelings in between.

Because the beating of my heart is ever present these days, I selected this poem to share~

A Thousand Mornings
 by Mary Oliver

All night my heart makes its way
however it can over the rough ground
of uncertainties, but only until night
meets and then is overwhelmed by
morning, the light deepening, the
wind easing and just waiting, as I
too wait (and when have I ever been
disappointed?) for redbird to sing.  

7 comments:

Balisha said...

It seems we have similar tastes in reading. I too love Mary Oliver.
I am really enjoying A year by the Sea. I'm almost 3/4 of the way through and don't want it to end.I read at Amazon that it is part of a trilogy...have you read the sequels?

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's nice to hear about a good movie that is out. It's been a long time since we went to a movie or even watched a new one on DVD. Enjoy your week!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Now that the weather is warmer and we can finally get outside, we have summer projects coming out our ears! I'll have to make note of these recommendations and save them until it's quieter in the winter. I used to love taking myself to the movies when I was in the city. When I was single I did it every New Year's Eve.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love Mary Oliver
and have all of her books.
They never fail to touch my heart, make me think deeply
and always lift my spirit.
Wish so I could meet her
and had known her in my lifetime.

Things that make me happy said...

Sharon, you know how to live... I love how you slow down when life calls for it. And yes to Mary Oliver! I need to purchase her newest books -- she's wonderful.

Sorry to have been out of touch. With Mom in hospice and lots going on with my artwork (good stuff!), I've been using my "blog" mainly as a professional Web site for links to published writing. A timesaver for now.

Hope all is well in Maine!

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with Mary Oliver, so thank you. You've got me reading Anne Tyler -- When We Were Grown-ups -- and I really enjoy her subtle humor.

Wisewebwoman said...

I love this poem, thanks for the reminder of such resonant writing.

XO
WWW