Saturday, December 31, 2011

Another Year Ends

I don't know what to think about the end of 2011.

It's not that the end of a year marks anything in particular. One day still follows another. Yes, we start a new calendar, and the date changes on our checks; but day comes after night, and each cycle still has 24 hours.

The thing about this year is that it is ending without anything being that much different than last year. I started the year focused on the word "unafraid" and created a vision board that highlighted change and growth and possibility. I took each day as it presented itself, broadened my view of opportunities, and appreciated my good health. I opened my heart.

Still, here I am this new year's eve, stuck in neutral. For all my optimism, I have not found what I am looking for. Instead, the word "lost" comes to mind this night....

So I turned to Mary Oliver for words of wisdom. I pulled New and Selected Poems Volume Two off the shelf and let the book fall open. These are the words I read:

The Owl Who Comes
by Mary Oliver

The owl who comes
through the dark
to sit
in the black boughs of the apple tree

and stare down
the hook of his beak,
dead silent,
and his eyes,

like two moons
in the distance,
soft and shining
under their heavy lashes-

like the most beautiful lie-
is thinking
of nothing
as he watches

and waits to see
what might appear,
briskly,
out of the seamless,

deep winter-
out of the teeming
world below-
and if I wish the owl luck,

and I do,
what am I wishing for that other
soft life,
climbing through the snow?

What we must do,
I suppose,
is to hope the world
keeps its balance;

what we are to do, however,
with our hearts
waiting and watching--truly
I do not know.

On this night, at year's end, my heart continues to wait and watch ~

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sharon, this is perfect. I have enjoyed the poetry you post, especially that of Mary Oliver. (I wonder: are you also familiar with David Whyte? I think you'd like "The House of Belonging Collection") Like you, I've been in these neutral periods, or fallow time. Something good always comes of it, but the waiting IS hard. Wishing you a wonderful new year with all good things, and finding what makes your heart sing!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, that's the dilemma I always face when I wish a predator well...the poor guy on the other side of the equation.

Life has a way of sorting itself out once we release our iron grip on it. My wish for you in this New Year is that you find what your heart hungers for and that you receive it in peace and contentment.

Much love & blessings,
Carolynn

Pienosole said...

As I read this entry, I was reminded of "where I am" at this time. Like you, I have been in transition and have opened my heart, etc., but am still "in neutral". I wish you peace and joy and fulfillment in the coming year.
Marsha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, you and each young woman that posted a comment are all in similar situations.
Years ago I could have said this but now seems I have settled in.
That is what old age does for you :)
My word for the new year is "accept."
Sounds good this evening and will meet the challengs daily.
The best is wished to you on your journey through this life...
this life

mermaid said...

Your inner wisdom directed you to the poem, and how perfect!

Wait and watch how you have experienced another year and learned to be more intimate with fear.

For me, 'fearless' is not 'without fear', but 'courage to be with fear'.

May the poem's meaning reveal itself to you in due time.

Anonymous said...

Sharon- it's all good isn't it? Grist for the mill- what seems like nothing never really is. You've created some incredible things this year, what talent for sewing and following through on plans you have- I envy that a little. Have a great year!

teri said...

So many insights from your wonderful readers. Such a intriguingly full poem. I wonder what the owl sees?

May your courage to continue or to accept become clear. Blessings.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon your heartfelt blog has inspired some wonderful thoughts: fallow time...releasing our grip...acceptance...in neutral...courage to be with fear. This Christmas time, after seeing my father-in-law's abilities decline through Alzheimer's, I've decided that my resolution this year is to reduce the time I think about the past and future, to live fully in the present and to be happy here and now.

May you have a Blessed New Year!