Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving On Cape Cod

Our drive to Cape Cod was uneventful. By the time we were an hour south of home there was no evidence of snow. My wish for Thanksgiving was to get a look at the water that surrounds the Cape, so before our lovely dinner in Barnstable we found a lane that led us to a view of Cape Cod Harbor, north of the peninsula, from Sandy Neck Beach ~
On the drive back to the B&B I saw the November sky that I had waited all month to see ~


The B&B in Falmouth has a main house ~


And a cottage out back, where we stayed. It had plenty of space for the three of us, but the country charm was tarnished by a musty smell that remained despite our best efforts to air the place out. Our best solutions were to leave the door open when we were there during the day [thank goodness the weather was warm] and to invest in linen-scent-reed-atomizers for each room ~


On Saturday we walked down to Surf Drive Beach, on the south side of the peninsula, for a view of Vineyard Sound. Different from Maine beaches, there were piles of shells and places covered with small stones. There must be more sand at low tide ~


Each morning after breakfast we walked into the village where there were wonderful shops and great places to enjoy coffee, a meal, or dessert ~


Breakfast was served in the dining room of the main house. The table in the back corner by the window was always set for three ~


The parlor, where we were able to access the village's public internet, was decorated for the holidays by the morning we left ~



All in all it was a good trip. Yesterday I picked up a full-sized map of Cape Cod so we can plot where to go on our next visit.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

The beach and country charm (and coffee), what a perfect combo! The B&B looks stunning, I could cozy up on that couch and enjoy good conversation by that tree. Sounds like you had a lovely New England holiday.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, thank you for sharing.
Looks like such a nice time.
Would love something like this :)
I need a special get away...

Carolynn Anctil said...

It sounds like a lovely adventure. Too bad about the musty smell - that would have bothered me too. I have a sensitive nose.

Anonymous said...

What a charming place, and your post captures it! It's been ages since I visited Cape Cod, and you make me want to go back ... but probably not until the summer or fall. I love New England! Northern Michigan has a similar "vibe," but not nearly the years of history.

Cindy said...

Wow. What a lovely holiday you had after all. Just gorgeous!

MMH said...

Looks and sounds like a beautiful trip.

teri said...

SO glad you found some blue November skies and had a wonderful trip.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, your pictures look so nice they could be ads for the B&B! I really got a feel for your trip. Thanks for sharing.

mermaid said...

Lovely photos of beaches, the sky, and the B&B. I remember my husband and I stayed at a B&B in Falmouth years before N was born, I think it was called Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Brings back memories.