Thursday, December 8, 2011

Two Appointments

I had two medical appointments today. I don't usually schedule appointments in places that are 75 miles apart for the same day, but in each case it was the first date available. The time slots were four hours apart so it was okay.

This morning was a repeat visit to Women To Women [W2W], the health center co-founded many years ago by Dr. Christiane Northrup. She is no longer there, but there are professionals who specialize in all things to do with lady parts. I had a pap smear during a yearly physical in July that was normal, but my primary care physician was concerned about white patches on my cervix. Eight years ago I was a patient at W2W when I had some problems that turned out to be related to menopause, with a good resolution, so it made sense to return there for a look-see. Since it had been longer than seven years I was considered a new patient, and all the paperwork was a pain, but they were able to get me in in October.

Then I was seen by Kate, a nurse practitioner who confirmed that I had white patches on my cervix [white blood cells decided to hang out and medical professionals like to know WHY]. She prescribed a different estrogen cream, one that was supposed to be more compatible with my body's chemistry than the Premarin I had been using. After six weeks I was scheduled for another look-see with Marcelle Pick, RNC, MSN, OB/GYN, NP.

I used the free samples of Vagifem that Kate gave me. Then I did some research with my daughter that showed that estrogen cream is basically estrogen cream. Plus my insurance won't cover Vagifem. Plus I had a full tube of Premarin, so Premarin it was for six weeks.

I was nervous this morning. I didn't mean to be, and I tried not to be, but I was. Then I had to try to make sense of my self-prescribed switch from the Vagifem samples to the Premarin cream so the nurse could make a note in my chart. There was some tsk-tsking but there wasn't anything I could do about that after the fact.

My nervousness must have showed because Marcelle [first-name basis at this place] worked hard to put me at ease before the exam. She explained that she might not even have to do a biopsy if everything looked okay. I said I had been through all of this many years ago and she said that they have a better way of doing things now.

Then she took a look and told me I have a beautiful cervix. No problems. Seriously? Yes, all clear. I smiled, thanked her, and treated myself to a muffin on the way out of town. Note to self: the prescribed half a gram of estrogen cream once a week promotes cervical health.

I had time to take a breath and stop at home before my afternoon appointment.

One down and one to go....

The second appointment was with my primary care physician/osteopath to check on my shoulder. She last worked on it in July. My shoulders have been sore and I've felt like I'm out of alignment, so the timing of today's visit was good.

She started with my legs and lower back, and then my abdomen. She was there a long time.

"What's with your gut?" she asked. "Have you had that bug that's going around?"

No, I've been physically healthy. But for weeks I've felt like I'm in a bind. Once again my body has ratted me out. We talked and she worked on my head and shoulders a bit. But the issues stem from my core.

I am literally gut wrenched.

She asked a couple questions. Is there anything I can do about it? No.

There are things out of my control. Something close to home has changed but someone has drawn their line in the sand and I have no say about it. There is nothing I can do about something that deeply affects me.

I'm in a bind. I can't see a solution.

And I need to push it down until after the holidays. I am so looking forward to all of my family being home for Christmas and New Year's. That is all I want to focus on right now.

My stomach will just have to go with the flow until January. The rest of me has a lot to do.

4 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

At your age you can do those two appointments miles away.
No female exams for a few years.
My doctor said not necessary past 70 :) The estrogen cream is great
It helped me with bladder sysmtoms.
Take care - all is well.
Pleased you liked my image...

Helen said...

Hmmm...I'm certain no doctor has ever said I have a beautiful cervix! Something to aspire to.

So glad to hear your good medical news. The line in the sand will be more difficult to deal with. No medication for that. I will hold you in the Light and send good thoughts for an enjoyable family holiday and, in the new year, wisdom to deal with that which has you bound and come out smiling on the other side.

Laura said...

Oh Sharon I'm sorry about the gut crunch...but so grateful for good news about everything else! Happy birthday to you and your sweet young man!

mermaid said...

May there be lots of kindness in the oxygen your inhale. May it travel to your gut and say, "I care about your suffering."

I, too am glad the cervical changes were just a false alarm.