Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Appearances

I am letting my hair grow. It is over my ears and down on my neck for the first time in many years. I figure I will let it grow until I can't stand it. Then I will get it trimmed up so I can tolerate the next growth spurt.

I have decided I want to get my hair colored, soon. The question is what color? A friend last night joked "red," but the thought has crossed my mind. As a young woman, my dark hair had auburn highlights. My eyebrows are still very dark, and I need to consider that as I think about hair color.

This whole process has renewed for me the question of how much appearances matter. I have had conversations with other women whose graying hair has them questioning their appearance. We are worried that some people will not see beyond our gray hair to find out that we are smart, capable women.

At the bridal brunch in Boston on Sunday I was glad to see other women with gray hair. In a room full of women of all ages, I was not the only woman with gray hair, which surprised me. It's not unusual for me to be the only gray-haired head in a group, and until now that was always okay with me.

When my son became engaged I thought I'd color my hair for the wedding. Once the idea was planted, I wondered why I should wait. Maybe coloring my hair would improve my chances in the search for a job. Surprisingly, other women, employed or looking for a job, have echoed the same thought: professional women color their gray.

Three weeks ago I explained to my friend's hair stylist that I was planning to color my hair for my son's wedding. She said, "Well, most women color it all along but you can decide to color it now." Good to know there is not a statute of limitations.

The other comment I hear is that once I color it I have to keep up with it. I have had short hair for fifteen years, so I know all about the issue of maintenance. The recent weeks have been the longest I've gone without a haircut in all those years. Longer hair will ease up on the need for monthly cuts, which will be replaced with monthly visits for coloring.

Last night a commercial for hair color came on while my husband and I were watching television. He asked me if that was a brand I might try. I asked him if he really thought that those models colored their own hair. He said sure they did! Chuckle chuckle. I'm not even sure that the color on the models came out of a box.

I have a feeling this adventure is just beginning.

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Sounds like a fun, new journey going on. I know when I'm deliberating on a decision or uncertain of something, my daughters tell me to "Own it, Mom!"
It's amazing what happens when you do, and it sounds like you already are. Have fun!

CaShThoMa said...

I agree...it sounds like just that..."FUN". Go for it!

Anonymous said...

I can hear the energy you have around this, that little frisson of excitement. That tells me you should definitely go for it. I think there are no 'rules' anymore. Go from color to gray. Be gray for a while. Decide to go back to color. It's what works for you.

Be sure to post a photo of the new 'do'!

Anonymous said...

My younger sister keeps her hair quite short and if she didn't color it would be all white. She is 43 and this has been her routine since she was in her early thirties. She assures me that she has been "gray" since she was about 36. She doesn't seem to think the upkeep is onerous.

I have recently begun adding lowlights to my highlighting routine (which goes back to my college days) and I am wondering when I might just let nature take it's course. I haven't decided because I having it colored isn't a hassle at this point.

It probably will influence the way you are seen as a job applicant. The women in my yoga class who are in their sixties and dye their hair certainly look younger than those who don't for some reason I can't put my finger on. Their age certainly is there on their faces, hands, arms, etc. Same with me.

You can always give it up if it doesn't suit you or it becomes a chore.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, why not?

Anonymous said...

My hair has always been one area in my life where I've reinvented myself: short, long, super super short, curly, bangs, no-bangs, highlights, lowlights, a little gray, a lot more gray. I would LOVE to try a reddish tint, bit don't think it would look good with my skin tone.

Enjoy the anticipation of change!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a new chapter in your book!It's fun just thinking about it eh? Can't wait to see...

Anonymous said...

This is fun to think about, Sharon. First, though, I need to tell you that I like the way you look with gray hair in your photo. My MIL went gray very early, and she looks fabulous with it. There's also a gorgeous model in the Eileen Fisher ads (I love how Eileen Fisher uses real-looking women in her ads) who has beautiful, long gray hair.

That said, hair color is a cosmetic, and who says you can't have some fun with it? When my auburn hair turned brown, then gray, I began to color it with a Level 2 semi-permanent color, which gave me a chance to try it out. I ended up using a permanent light auburn that was close to the red in my grandmother's and uncle's natural color.

Since your hair is gray now, and might take color differently, I think I would go to a salon first and at least consult with a stylist before trying it at home.

Like Kate said, have fun with it!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Sharon,
I say go for it girl. It's only hair and it can always be changed back. I chopped mine off completely last summer after 50 years of long hair. It was amazing how it made me feel--lighter, authentic. (In fact, I just wrote an article on this for a women's mag...) Then I let it go gray, thought I really wanted to. Nope. The grays lasted for a few weeks and they didn't feel like the real me. So as Joanne alludes to, this is all an experiment in noticing and honoring what feels right to you. And I'm seeing the word FUN in a lot of posts here. Perhaps that is what this is all about for you too? Time to have some fun?! May you enjoy the journey wherever it takes you...

Anonymous said...

Over the last couple of years, I've let my hair grow out, too, and done different things with the color ... mostly for fun, not so much to cover the gray.

Not sure why they'd say once you color your hair you have to keep up with it, aside from the "roots-growing-out" period. To the contrary, you can do all sorts of things with hair color, and the beauty of it is, none of it's for keeps.