Thursday, March 5, 2009

Happy?

Last summer a friend started talking about a book called What Happy People Know by psychologist Dan Baker. Every time I saw her she shared what she was learning and how much she liked the book. After two or three months she asked me if I had bought the book yet. Finally, last fall, I bought the book and started reading.

The subtitle of the book is "How the New Science of Happiness Can Change Your Life for the Better." Baker uses people's personal stories to explain the brain science behind fear and love and how those two things affect happiness.

I decided to make the effort to read the book because my friend was impressed with what it had to say and, at first, my interest was half-hearted. Then on page 29 Baker writes that there are two parts of the brain that send fear messages and one part of the brain that counters the fear because, "It has the amazing ability to say, 'Nothing is wrong - calm down!'" Now he had my attention. Apparently there is a part of my brain that I'm not using or that isn't getting my attention. I kept reading.

My friend asked me how I liked the book. I told her it was okay, but that I was still waiting to read about how to find the secret of happiness. She said, yeah, we all wanted the secret but that it's not that easy.

I liked some of the personal stories, although at first I had a hard time believing that there are rich people who really aren't happy. Then Baker would describe the situation and conversations he had with the client, and it became obvious that the person was miserable despite the appearance of having everything a person could want. Finding happiness is a process that has little to do with what is happening in the material world and everything to do with a person's thinking, feeling, and ability to stay present. This is a theme that runs through many of the books I have read in the past year.

Last night I finished the book. As so often happens, I understood more of what the author was saying as I got further along. Then, if there is something that speaks to me, I plan to re-read the book once I am tuned to hear the message. In this book that something was the last paragraph on the last page: "This is happiness: bittersweet, often broken, a poem sometimes left unspoken - full of longing and opportunity missed, made wise by sorrows that never last, a promise to ourselves, from deep in the past. A future with fears that never arrive: This is happiness - this moment, this now - this being alive." (p. 259)

That message was worth the wait.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

how timely...I look forward to your thoughts if you read it again. oxox

Joanne said...

What a great final paragraph. I guess feeling the bittersweet longings and passing sorrows is all about being in tune with life fully, in all its rhythms. You have to have known the happiness in order to recognize the bittersweet, so it's all tied in together. Thanks for sharing.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Wonderful! I am so glad that you persevered through and found meaning in the message. I agree. It is about living now--in the now. Thorns and roses intertwined. The now is truly all we've got...
It will be interesting to see what deeper awarenesses come from you with the second read through...

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I wonder if your book is similar to one I had borrowed from the library. The topic was "positive psychology." I didn't get through the whole book, but it talked about nuts-and-bolts ideas about being happy, based on scientific research.

I do like that last paragraph, and its focus on now.

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed by how a simple truth -- happiness is achieved by staying in the present -- is repackaged and "sold" in so many ways. Yet, we need to hear that message in new ways -- over and over and over again.

The beautifully-written paragraph is the latest reminder. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

That paragraph said it perfectly didn't it? Thanks for sharing such inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds fascinating, and I can't wait to read it. Sounds like something my ailing mother could use, too, as her illness is complicated by serious anxiety. Thanks for your review, Sharon!

Putting the pieces together... said...

I have a friend learning how to become a yoga teacher, who was having a lot of trouble considering Kharma yoga (Karma Yoga is the act of service without attachment to the outcome of the action. Therefore, give and act righteously, seeing the Divine aspects in each person served, and be free from expectation of outcome, recognition or reward.) Like us, she is a planner, and thinks about what she has to do to attain certain goals, results or outcomes. It was hard for her to accept that she should enjoy the process (she was knitting a bunny at the time and wanted to be finished already, but thinking in her yoga terms she was supposed to be just enjoying the knitting, the now.)

Elaine is right, we hear this often, and over and over again, but I think for most Americans who grow up in a purpose-driven society, we have a hard time grasping the process-driven life. Its a tough one, but I like to remind myself that it is hard to worry (about anything) when you are just appreciating the moment for the moment.

(and the other half of me laughs at myself because I can only stand to live in the moment for a few minutes before I start thinking about what comes next, or next week... ;-)