Thursday, March 12, 2009

My New "Do"

Today was the day. I called my stylist on Tuesday to make an appointment to get my hair colored, thinking I'd have it done next week or the week after. She had an opening today at 12:30, so I told her to sign me up. She said she didn't want to alarm me but that I should count on two hours. Gulp. I'm usually in the chair for less than 20 minutes. Okay, I told her, I'm ready. I also told her that friends told me to have fun with this experience, that it's only hair color. This helped her relax on my behalf, and we wound up having a lot of fun this afternoon. I took two photos before I left the house. My hair looks wild because I washed it and let it air dry. I haven't owned a hair dryer for more than 15 years, and I guess that's another thing that will soon change. First, right profile:

And left profile:

Ta Da! I tried to keep the same expression, but I couldn't stop smiling:
We used old photos to gauge the color; this shade has more red tones. We went lighter rather than darker and can darken next time, depending on how it "wears" over the next few weeks. I told my stylist about all the support I had gotten around this big change. She smiled, joked that she appreciates the business, and is curious to hear what people think. So far, so good - my husband and daughter gave two thumbs up. I am going to experiment with eye liner to see if I can "bring out" my eyes. It's true that one thing leads to another....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh! You look fabulous and 15 years younger with the darker brunette shade! I must say, dear Sharon, that I was skeptical when you blogged about changing your hair color. (I did think the gray was pretty on you too.) But the darker shade looks richer and natural, and best of all, you look very comfortable and happy and lovely in the re-newed 'do. You are going to have a blast with your new look!

Joanne said...

You absolutely made the right decision! It looks great, you do look younger, and I noticed you have a fun smile going on with the new look! It's obvious you're already enjoying the change, kudos to you!

CaShThoMa said...

Sharon; you look amazing!
Love the color. You go!

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I noticed your new smile, too, which matches your new hair color. I think you look great!

Only the Half of It said...

Looks great. And thanks for stopping by my blog. I did a story about women going gray or natural. Interesting to hear both sides. You can save a lot of money and time going gray but as they say, if it makes you feel better, go for it. It looks terrific.

Anonymous said...

I always thought I'd leave my "frosting" alone...After seeing your photo and smile, I may rethink that decision! You look great girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Fabuloso! What a bold step, I bet just the aftermath of courage feels great too! But it looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what such a simple thing as hair color can do, isn't it? :D And yep, one of the downsides letting your hair grow out is that it takes longer to dry. (Speaking from personal experience there.)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a wonderful shade and you look great.

Putting the pieces together... said...

Yay! You look great, and less tired - Helen was right, the bursting smile is hard to miss and may actually make more difference than the color of your hair itself. We can all use a little boost like that now and again!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Stunning! What an awesome change. And I do love the red tones. Red tones give us such a lift and add light to our face. (Of course, I am biased. I sport red tones.) And the eyeliner could be a nice touch. How about a little lip gloss? The one thing I noticed as I've aged is all the color seems to have drained out of my lips. Where did it go? You won't catch me without a little gloss--ah, vanity. Burt's Bees has a nice light-feeling/looking natural one. Enjoy yourself and your new "Do" and be proud of yourself that you made such a big leap of faith. Shine on! I am SO glad I stopped by today to be in your parade.

Rebecca Woodhead said...

Wow! I love it. It really suits you and looks really natural. Good choice.

Rebecca
http://frombrain2bookshelf.blogspot.com

Selina said...

Hi Sharon, This is selina from class. I was really supprised to learn that you had dyed your hair. It looks so you I would never have guessed. I too took the plunge and dyed my hair for the first time this year. Im learning that I am strong, I am worthy, I am beautiful in my own unique way and I just feel the outside work needs to keep up with whats happening on the inside. Again congratulations you look wonderful.