Sunday, June 13, 2010

Deere, John

Thanks to all of you who like my new "look." I was smiling so broadly because Ken and I had just finished a delicious dinner of pork bar-b-que to celebrate the long-awaited purchase of a tractor, a dream of Ken's since we moved into this house. Friday afternoon we signed the final papers. The tractor was delivered on Saturday. This is one happy man in the driver seat ~

His first goal is to learn how to pick up and move boulders ~

I will practice reaching the pedals in the garage ~

Ken is sure I will learn how to drive the Deere. There is a front-mounted snowblower on order, which Ken says he will teach me how to use so I can clear the driveway when he's working out of town. I don't know about that, but I sure could have used a tractor when I was hauling gravel last week. We have also ordered a chipper/shredder attachment to make our own mulch to fill in all the low places on our property.
When Ken was in the intensive care unit last July with pneumonia, I wanted us to make a wish list. I asked him if there was anywhere he wanted to travel or anything he wanted to do once he got well. The only thing he wanted was a tractor. He had been saving money for two years, some was put away in a special account but some had been used for other expenses that came up. By this summer he would have had enough to pay cash, so I couldn't say no when he had more than enough for a down payment and could finance the rest for 0% interest.
And he's just so darn happy. I couldn't ask for more than that.

10 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Very cool; never have seen a real John Deere up close!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!!
You look about as thrilled to be on that thing as I would be, ha!
Seriously though, it would be a kick in the pants to learn how to drive it AND blow snow! Yes!!
Wishing your husband hours of fun with his new toy. Those boulders would make a wonderful zen walking garden. **wink, wink**

Joanne said...

The way to a man's heart is through machinery. Yard machinery. Lots and lots of it!

annie said...

Impressive. The John Deere and your new look.

helen said...

Congratulations on being the proud owners of an awesome tractor. A big help around the yard and a wish fulfilled! Did Ken want to take the week off to "play" in the yard?

We had a JD 850 and I learned to operate it without much trouble so I'm confident you'll do the same. Of course, living with 3 guys I didn't get a lot of operator time!

patti said...

LOVED the pix and the chance to see a John Deere up close and personal.

Yep, live in Normal but am really a city girl at heart!!

Love your blog.
Patti

Laura said...

my gordon is a tractor guy too...he misses the big old casey farm tractor from growing up..has to put up with a tiny JD lawn tractor...but it definitely helps when the snow gets real deep!

Anonymous said...

Oh man- my hubby would be in heaven too! You are a good partner! BTW I love your hair! Love it.

Cindy said...

It's a handsome piece of equipment, and the best part is that his wish came true!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Ha! Only a guy would wish for a tractor under those circumstances. I'm glad to hear his wish came true! And, it's brand new & shiny, to boot.

BTW, thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement and support over at my place. Full speed ahead! :o))

Blessings,
Carolynn