Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gullywasher

This past week-end we had storms that brought torrential rains. While we were lucky, because parts of the state had hail and tornado warnings, the driveway took a hard hit. The material used for the driveway is not solid, and in heavy rain the finest, silt-like particles wash away. We hadn't had a problem since we lined the edges with gravel, until this past series of storms ~

The good news is that we still have an area of gravel to draw from ~

The bad news is that there is only so much I can put in a wheelbarrow and still be able to push it up the driveway ~

And that amount looks much larger in the wheelbarrow than on the ground ~

Which means I made lots of trips up the driveway yesterday. I meant to post these pictures last evening, but it was all I could do to take a hot bath and watch a movie. The reward came this morning when I saw the results ~

We need to do more work along the edges with larger rocks, but that can wait until this week-end when much-needed help will be on its way. Stay tuned....

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I think that you got the storms that missed us. We had a few, but the bulk of the line of thunderstorms veered north of here. It's funny how randomly they strike, hit or miss from one town to another.

Cindy said...

Looks great but that must have cost you in muscle soreness! The tornados blew through Michigan but well south of me...

patti said...

Oooh, we've had storms here but not that kinda storms. But 30 miles down the road, tornadoes uprooted century-old houses and trees.

Sigh. Love those verses about holding on during storms.

It's great to be back here at this great blog!!
Patti

helen said...

I could sure relate to your gravel moving project! I just came in from moving gravel in the arroyo to a place where we removed a bush to widen the driveway. I look upon these yard maintenance adventures as providing weight bearing exercise. Doesn't make the muscles hurt any less in the evening...

Glad your storm damage was minimal (relatively speaking).

Anne said...

Lovely! Our driveway washed away a bit as well. I got a chance to get on my other computer today and got a chance to visit your blog after not being able to for a couple weeks. It's so lovely. You share your journeys and insights so well.