Friday, June 18, 2010

Whose House Is This?

I started a list of the houses that I have visited in my dreams. I came up with five without much effort, which leads me to believe there are probably more. In each case I am busy doing something ~ painting, wallpapering, moving furniture, repurposing rooms, working in the kitchen, or trying to keep out an intruder. I wake up exhausted.

I plan to do some research. I have Martha Beck's book Steering By Starlight and will revisit the chapter on dreams. I skimmed it when I first read the book because it didn't seem to relate to my life at the time. Now I am paying better attention.

I want to explore what others have written on the connection between the symbol of a house and an inner life. That would fit with all the other things that have been going on in my life since these dreams started.

I am going to follow through on something I have been considering for a long time. I am going to have my astrological chart done. For years I have known of someone with an excellent reputation who does this work, and last summer a friend suggested that it might be a good idea. Again, before now I didn't think this was something that pertained to my life. I don't believe that it will hold all the answers, but I think it may give me some insight.

I want a hint, a clue, anything that will point me in the right direction.

My acupuncturist suggested that I ask for guidance from a higher power. I do. I have been for what feels like forever.

At times it feels like I'm trying too hard. So I stop trying to do anything and let myself go with the flow. Then nothing happens, nothing changes, and I feel empty. I get a thought or have a dream, and I follow that to see where it leads. Dead end. I put it all out of my mind, only to get another nudge in a different direction. Dead end again. The cycle is exhausting.

Looking inward and allowing myself to be open to what I learn seems to be the only way to get through this. That means I need to know myself better, trust my instincts more, and rest in the sureness that my life is unfolding as the universe intends.

8 comments:

Joanne said...

The only house I dream of is my own. Either the one I'm living in now, or the previous one. It'll be interesting to know the correlation between your dream houses and your life, I hope you post what you learn.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! I'm glad that you are having your chart done. You are correct it won't give you answers but sometimes it gives windows through which to see ourselves and frame our lives differently. Anyway :) All of the houses are being tried on but apparently you haven't found the right one yet- home. Perhaps the problem is that we fill up our homes, they don't fill us up?

Char said...

i do like the connection between house and inner life - i feel it strongly.

thanks for dropping by today and yes, she talked about her grandfather and grandmother during the show on tuesday. it was wonderful.

patti said...

You might like the book "Rooms." Certainly an interesting twist on "the house of your dreams."

Hmmm. I've dreamed about so many things, including amazing beachhouses and NY penthouses.

Only a couple of times have I felt the Spirit of God in my dreams, and those dreams did not involve any house but my own heart.

Blessings, dear one. May Christ bring you the peace that passeth all understanding as you place your faith in Him.

Patti

Carolynn Anctil said...

I've only recently begun to see the value & wisdom in getting off the gerbil wheel. It seems when I stop striving so hard for answers, that's when they come. That's why this Bible verse has so much meaning for me: "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Wishing you peace and calm in whichever house you find yourself.

CaShThoMa said...

I was going to make another comment but then read the comment from Carolynn; that Bible verse struck a cord with me today when I'm feeling so restless.

Good luck with the reading; I'd love to hear more about it.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I love this paragraph!
"Looking inward and allowing myself to be open to what I learn seems to be the only way to get through this. That means I need to know myself better, trust my instincts more, and rest in the sureness that my life is unfolding as the universe intends."

You have said it all, I believe, Sharon, trusting your inner compass, AND trusting in the timing of our own unfolding is so key. Spiritual growth (as I understand it) was never meant to be easy - or it might not be called "growth."

May you enjoy the journey... all along the way. "Go slowly, breathe, and smile" is still my fave mantra of all time, esp. for times like these...Blessings!

patti said...

Miss you today! Will be checkin' on you!
P