Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's Two In The Morning

There is something to be said for the realization that the lives that unfold around us do not belong to us.

No matter how much we love or encourage or advise or try to help.

I have been tired all day, foggy headed and yawning. I had a meeting to attend tonight, where I found out that we will never get cable on our road.

Then I did relaxing things, like take a hot bath.

But my mind would not be fooled. When I finally climbed into bed, all the thoughts came rushing forward and would not be stilled.

I climbed out of bed, which I rarely do. I visited some of my favorite blogs, looking for guidance.

I found a prayer, a meditation, and a like-minded friend who just wants things to be different. I found a birthday. I found a writer who writes and a teacher who teaches.

Life goes on, no matter what. Just in this past week two online friends have each lost a parent.

This morning I visited an old cemetery, with dates as far back as 200 years. Do family members still visit? Does anyone remember? What is left behind?

It's hard not to feel that it's all so important right now. What we say and do matters. How we treat others makes a difference. The truth counts. It's good to keep commitments.

In the end, what will be remembered? What will be left behind?

Things will shift again tomorrow and the day after that. Life will go on.

We can ask the questions, but we may never know the answers.

6 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Beautifully written, Sharon. Isn't it amazing what comes from the core of our beings in the middle of the night when we let the events of the day unfold?

What will anyone remember about us years from now? Good question.

What can we do in this life that really matters?

What is worth worrying about and what should be let go?

And on it goes. I'm with you, asking the same questions and pondering the same imponderables.

patti said...

Sharon, you are facing someof the BIG questions of life...and death...what courage that takes to examine them!

May God grant you the peace that passes all understanding as you journey...

It is a journey, dear one.
But Christ the Savior can show you the road less traveled.

It is a glorious way.

Patti
Blessings,
Patti

Joanne said...

I believe that what we say and do does matter while we are here. Afterwards? I don't know. But there's an aura, an essence, I think to honesty and truth, even if that honesty is purely to ourselves. And that essence is a part of us living a sincere life.

Laura said...

and so we ask, we ponder and have faith that we do/will/did matter...we trust that our life has meaning. I for one can say that you have touched my soul, that your voice is important to me. I too love reading blogs for inspiration...so many beautiful souls around the world, pouring out the wisdom, strength, kindness and compassion of our hearts.

blessings to you sweet Sharon, I hope this evening you will be able to rest peacefully, but if not, it's so good to know you are not alone when you reach out to other bloggers.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I love the first line. Perfectly true and, I believe, the secret to happiness.

Debra said...

So much to think about. And the answers do not come easily. But that does not mean that we should ever stop asking them. It's all part of our journey...

Hugs,
Debbie