Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Skating On Marbles

As a child I loved to roller skate. At first I had the old-fashioned metal skates that strapped over my sneakers so I could skate on the sidewalk. I wasn't coordinated and often got going too fast. To stop quickly I would sit on my hands, and at least once I sprained my thumb. I can still feel the cracks in the sidewalk under my feet as I raced down the street.

I think I was in third grade when I got a pair of white boot skates that came with their own carrying case. Those were the days of roller rinks, and those skates carried me like the wind. I learned to stop by turning one skate sideways. Although I never learned any fancy moves, I was happy to skate for hours in circles around the rink.

I was thrilled with the freedom of movement. Once I was moving I lost all self-consciousness.

Lately I feel like I'm on roller skates, not freely skating like the wind but trying to regain my balance while in motion. At times it feels like I can stand on my own two feet...then I hit a patch where it feels like my feet are coming right out from under me. My arms flail and my feet make short, quick steps until I regain my footing.

It's like skating on marbles. I go along okay for a little bit and then I'm all arms and legs trying just to stay upright.

I miss skating on solid ground.

* * * * * * * * * *

My left eye has started twitching. This happens periodically during times of stress. I mentioned it to my acupuncturist yesterday, and she smiled while she made a note.

I told her I have had dreams that I am someplace unfamiliar ~ there have been different houses that belong to a variety of people. Sometimes I am house sitting and someone is trying to break in. In another house I help a family wallpaper and paint. My acupuncturist suggested that each house represents me~ perhaps trying on different identities? She said to write the dreams down. I will, though I'm not sure to what end.

* * * * * * * * * *

I have always maintained that any movement is positive. As long as I'm moving, things are changing with the potential for growth.

I just wish someone would sweep up these marbles....

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Keep skating. Thanks for your blog. I find great comfort in it.

patti said...

Oh, girl, I will pray that God will clear the marbles from your "playing field."

Know that I'm there nearby if you need to grab and arm.

I'm not a good skater but I soldier on!

Blessings and love,
Patti

P.S. You're an awesome writer.

CaShThoMa said...

Agree; let's hope those marbles take a hike and give you smooth skating. Great analogy for life and all its bumps.

Cindy said...

I can relate. This past year or so the old normal isn't there anymore. It's a little scary. On the plus side, those dreams sound cool. The best ever dream analysis is from Martha Beck's book Steering by Starlight. Its the chapter titled "Dreaming your Star Chart" and it is powerful and affirming.

Carolynn Anctil said...

That's a great analogy. I'm a tentative skater at best. Just keep going and don't hesitate to reach for the sidebar if you need to from time to time.

Dreams can be incredibly revealing, if you're open to their messages. I've had some that were down right spooky in their accuracy of current & future events. The subconscious knows much.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you need a hug. A real soul squeezing hug. My heart to yours.
Peace~
Dawn

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I love your writing here, Sharon. So full of soul! I remember those skates well. I had them too and did my share of falling and bloody knees.

I know that when I dream over much about houses is about my inner life. That's a pretty standard Jungian interpretation. I imagine you are being asked to grow into all kinds of new rooms within yourself. :-) May you skate on with greater ease. Laugh at the marbles, perhaps?