Monday, April 4, 2011

April Begins

I want to say a sincere thank you to each of you who commented on my last post. It has felt as if we had a memorial service for Leo and the people who knew him best shared their feelings and memories. It means a lot to me and Ken, who has been reading along too.
*******
After several inches of snow on Friday, the sun broke out this weekend. On Sunday Ken and I went to the ocean, our first trip to Popham Beach this year. The wind was brisk. The sun was warm. There was not a cloud in the sky ~
We walked the beach and watched the waves roll in ~

The wind was so strong it blew spray off the waves ~

We wondered if anyone ever lived on the small, barren islands ~

It doesn't look or feel like Spring yet. Last year we had a real Spring, and I am holding out hope for this year, just not this week. More snow is in the forecast....

7 comments:

Laura said...

Hello dear one. I'm so glad our words brought comfort to you. I'm sure the walk on the beach did a lot to help you and Ken to be present to your feelings. We always have memorial services and say prayers when we say goodbye to our kitties. It helps. When Lev died two years ago, even Ellie, our dog came to join us in our mourning...she loved that cat, he was her brother.

We had a spectacular sunrise this morning. I opened the window to photograph the woods and it was not terribly cold...an hour later snow!!! Then sleet, now rain and the temperature has dropped dramatically.

Lucky for me I have a beautiful quilt to drape over my lap!!!

teri said...

Ooo I can see the sprays!! I see Laura has been here.. and I was just "chatting with her via my blog. We should have a blog party! Anyway I WISH I could be at the beach -but your photos will have to do. I am so very glad you made the trip. Cold or not it had to be good for the heart. lots of love- teri

Ps glad the words brought some comfort-

Joanne said...

Oh the sea, the sea. Is there anything like it at all? Cures what ails you. I haven't been for awhile, and your pictures make me want to spend a few hours walking along the shore. Our shore is Long Island Sound though, not the Atlantic, so the waves are a little tamer.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful photos. Love the blue sky. It's been dismal here in Detroit.

mermaid said...

May the tides soothe the pain in your heart and being from Leo's passing. I'm so sorry Sharon. It sounds like the lovely commemoration and joining of hands helped. I wish warmer days for both you and ken. When the days are cold, may you find warmth inside and around you.

Debra said...

Oh Sharon, you are so welcome. For those of us who understand the love that an animal can share with us, the grief is very real and runs very deep. I am glad that the words that we wrote brought you some comfort. Leo was lucky to spend his final years in a home where he was loved, enjoyed and treated with lots of care and respect. You will always miss his physical presence, but, with like human souls, I believe that they stay with us even after they are gone. Do not be surprised if you think you feel the weight of Leo's body sleeping on top of your covers at night or on your lap during the day. I have had these experiences and it always makes me smile and brings me such peace.

Looks like you had a lovely walk on the beach! It looks like you had a perfect day.

Love and hugs,
Deb

Anonymous said...

One of my fav places. Glad that you are taking in the love Sharon. Spring is coming!