Friday, April 1, 2011

Leo Was A Good Cat

Today, in the early morning hours, Leo passed away, exactly two and a half years after he adopted us when he showed up on our porch and made it clear he wasn't leaving. He chose well because there were no young children or dogs, but there were warm laps, sunny windows, and two adults to dote on him and meet his every need. He enjoyed being outside, and one of his favorite things to do was to drink from the watering can ~
When inside, Leo liked to sit in spots where the sun shone in and he liked to look out the windows ~

Leo was in his retirement years, so there was lots of napping, eating, and grooming. He loved his wet food, and he was meticulous about his appearance ~

This week I knew he was in his last days because he chose to stay in his corner of the garage, near his water and food and litter box. For the most part he stayed on the padded milk crate and slept, occasionally getting a drink of water or tiny taste of food. We made regular trips to the garage to hold him, pet him, and tell him we loved him. When he showed up on our porch in October 2008 we didn't know we needed a cat; Leo knew and worked his way into our lives and hearts. He brought immeasurable joy and unconditional companionship. Leo was well loved and will be fondly remembered by all who knew him. We will miss you, Leo Leo. Godspeed.

12 comments:

Suzie said...

Oh Sharon, I know you will miss Leo. He choose well like you said! It sounded like a win-win situation for you and your husband and Leo. I'm so sad for your loss. I pray your grieving time is full of grace. Love, Suzie

Kristen said...

Leo was an amazing cat - and I will miss him a lot. He set a new standard for cats - and certainly had his own way of doing things. 5pm may never been the same.

Joanne said...

I'm so sad for you, Sharon. Leo had lots of personality, and we sure got to know him well on your blog. I remember when he wouldn't walk on the new stone path you put down, and walked alongside it instead. It almost felt like he adopted us too. Bye, sweet Leo ...

Marie said...

I am sorry to hear about Leo. I know on the couple of times I got to meet him that he was definitely a people person, that is, you and Ken. Perhaps he and Lilly will be telling each other some of their favorite people memories....

Helen said...

Don't cry because it's over.
Smile because it happened.


-- Dr. Seuss

Thanks for the smiles sweet Leo. You chose your people well and your last years were a blessing to them.

Laura said...

oh Sharon, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that Leo walked into your life and gave you tremendous joy and that this was mutual. May his sweet soul journey with ease and comfort.

Debra said...

Oh Sharon, I am so profoundly saddened by the news of Leo's passing. I feel as if I have lost a friend, too. I always loved reading about him and his funny antics. I will miss his stories. Bless you for taking each other in at a time when you both needed one another. Cats do that, you know. Walk into our lives and create little footprints on our hearts.

I am so very sorry for your loss. May Leo's memory be a blessing to both you and your husband. I will miss him, too.

Love and gentle hugs,
Debbie

CaShThoMa said...

This makes me sad; can't believe it has been 2 1/2 years since Leo joined your family and now he's gone. I feel like I knew him. What a wonderful cat. I will miss hearing about him.

So glad Leo had a great home for his final years.

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, my condolences to you on the passing of Leo. From your posts, I could tell that your life was richer because of him...and Leo was lucky to have you in his life!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, not Leo.... I feel like I knew him and it grieves me that he is gone. But it sounds like a dignified and soft leaving at least. He found himself a great spot/family - smart cat! Hugs and condolences to you and Ken. May the sun always warm him over what hardcore cat owners call the rainbow bridge!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, Sharon. So sorry to hear that Leo has passed on. He is indeed a gorgeous fellow and one who obviously enriched your lives. I maintain that these four legged blessings wrapped in fur are actually angels made manifest. What a joy that Leo chose your family to spend his retirement years with. Much love & healing hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Leo ... bless him. I send you my deepest sympathies, Sharon. I know what a wonderful pet he was to you, and how you must miss him. We had a cat like Leo -- Booger showed up on our doorstep one cold day, years ago, and stayed with us until he passed. It always felt like a sweet honor, his choosing us. Sometime I will send you a copy of the newspaper column I wrote about him (it's in my book too). I will remember Leo all day today as I watch my cats. Leo was lucky to have you.