Thursday, April 7, 2011

Watch This Space

This is the space I am watching closely because as the snow recedes there are crocus and tulip leaves pushing through the soil~

Obvious new growth.

All growth is not so obvious. During my massage yesterday I learned that not only do people tense their shoulders upward, but they can also tense shoulders in toward their bodies.

"Like a turtle?" I asked.

"Why, yes," my massage therapist responded.

I explained that I feel like a turtle, pulling myself in. Then as I try to relax my whole body hurts.

Be aware ~ that's the lesson. My body has been tense for so long that it's taking time to learn how to relax.

Layers ~ of feeling, of changing.

I want to be more like a crocus, pushing upward, with the promise of a bloom.

6 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

I have a habit of holding my left shoulder up and in. My riding instructor is always telling me to pull it back and during the course of an ordinary day, I find myself having to readjust it on a regular basis.

teri said...

Ah yes- the shoulders raised and curved in "protecting" like a turtles shell. Were we getting a massage yesterday at the same time? I am in the midst of getting the front of my shoulders untangled as I like to say. And the releasing the emotional baggage in my gall bladder meridian. And on it goes-she insists I must remember how much work I have done and be patient. "Gentle steps" as Laura says.

Laura said...

I think you are doing that, but just like the crocus it takes time Sharon to push up out of the soil and several seasons before it/you are able to crown above the earth/body and fully bloom...you are on your way...I see your growth, I stand as your witness my friend.

mermaid said...

Oh, your intention is so deep. May you be the crocus. I, too am so tense at times.

Gentle breath and gentle steps (as Laura always says).

Claire M said...

I decided to stop by after I found your comment at Whole Latte Life about Laure Ferlita's watercolors. Like you I am going through transitions and trying to be more present to the current moment and 'let go' a bit. I can really identify with your description of curving my body inward like a turtle and I'm trying to open up more in multiple ways - and I can also relate to pushing up like a crocus. Watercolor has become part of my journey. I do hope you give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post -- and resonates this time of year. It was nearly 80 degrees in Michigan today -- so we are, finally, seeing the new growth coming up. Hope it comes for you too, soon, Sharon!