Thursday, April 28, 2011

One Of Too Many

I received an email a few days ago that told me that the position, for which I applied and interviewed last month, has been filled. I had already gathered that. The more interesting piece of news was that 113 people had applied for the job.

One hundred thirteen people applied for a position at an alternative school in a small town on the coast of Maine that currently serves eight students.

The optimist in me said, Well wasn't that an honor to be asked to interview?

The realist in me said, What chance do I ever have of breaking into a new career when there are that many people applying for the same job?

I woke up at five o'clock this morning and promptly broke out in a sweat. Dreams this week have been crazy; the night before I was late for a wedding with my dress half made and chipped polish on my toenails. I think last night's drama circled around looking for a job, which makes sense since that topic has been on my mind quite a bit lately.

When I got the resume out earlier this year and dusted it off to have another go at the job market I knew that it wasn't going to be easy. If it was easy I would already be employed. I know that sometimes I am under-experienced. I realize that sometimes I am over-educated. Now I need to add "one of too many" to my possible list of qualifications.

I will continue to search and apply, focusing on part-time and out-of-the-way positions. Who knows? Maybe I will catch someone on the right day in the right mood and they will give me a chance to prove myself. One thing could lead to another.

I know for sure that the phone will not ring unless I keep putting myself out there.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but am glad they at least let you know. And I'm glad your search will continue, too. One thing I've found in recent years is that things never seem to go the way I'd thought they would. So I have a feeling that when you do find that job, it might be one you'd never expected!

Kristen said...

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2011/02/02

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2011/02/19

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2002/03/26

3 poems for you - oxoxox

teri said...

You my friend would never have your dress not finished. And chipped polish is easily remedied. I am sorry however that you woke in a sweat- that is just a yucky way to wake up. Sending warm blessings -xo teri

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I have always felt when something does not work out a thank you.
There is something better waiting for you. When you look back to this one day - you will know the why - and smile.
At least that is my story :)