Friday, June 25, 2010

Almost Done

My daughter once said, "It will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." It was April 2001 and we were in Boston. I liked what she said so much that I wrote it down.

I am going to reflect that thought back to her today as she celebrates her completion of family medicine residency, although there are still weeks of actual work to go.

I don't remember the exact details of the situation we were talking about in 2001. She was finishing her third year of college. Something wasn't working out, and she was trying to figure out why.

I remember that life seemed complicated at that moment. There was no way to know that life would become more complicated and less forthcoming with answers and endings.

In the last nine years I have learned that there are not always specific beginnings and endings. There are evolutions and progressions. One thing leads to another. We come to new ways of thinking and doing, and we get wiser as we go along.

Today is not the end, dear daughter. It is one more step along the way. Looking back it's difficult to see how you got to this point because the path was steep and full of turns.

I know it's hard to see what's ahead because it's foggy and the path is unsure.

Take it one step at a time. You will find your footing.

You have come so far and accomplished so much. Celebrate that today.

I love you.

9 comments:

patti said...

What a poignant post, a tribute to your daughter a hope for the future, a gift for my Friday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Patti

Joanne said...

Congrats to your daughter. It sometimes seems that the more difficult the journey, the more worthwhile.

teri said...

We began by encouraging our toddler's next step. It seems to be one of our greatest gifts. I wish you and your daughter blessings. It is something how their journey gives us perspective to see life more clearly- usually. Have a great day!

CaShThoMa said...

Congratulations to your daughter on her accomplishment! There's much excitement ahead for and I hope she loves the journey.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Sharon, and three cheers for your daughter. I can read the love between the lines of this wonderful post. And in particular, I liked this passage:

"In the last nine years I have learned that there are not always specific beginnings and endings. There are evolutions and progressions."

So true, Sharon, so true! Good to catch up with you. It's been a hard summer. Just lost my dear father-in-law, a big loss for our family.

Kristen said...

thanks mom - I couldn't have done it without you (and your meals, phone calls, organization help and words of wisdom). I love you!

Cindy said...

the only thing I know about residency is that it is very difficult. good for her to get through such a tough training program! A doctor in the family, how marvelous.

Debra said...

Sharon, those words are so true. I have also always believed that if you aren't happy with how things are going, you always have the power to say, this is not how the story is going to end.

Congratulations to your daughter. It is not an easy path that she has chosen and I admire her for doing so! Good thing she has a momma who is willing to lead her gently into the direction of her future, while standing beside her along the way.

Many blessings,
Debbie

Cindy's Coffeehouse said...

Sharon, I also wrote down what your daughter said. In all my life it is one of the wisest things I have ever heard!

Congratulations to your daughter and to her proud parents!