Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snowing And Blowing

Thursday was sunny and beautiful.  I had a massage, with revelations that I will write about another time.  I had started bean soup in the crockpot, which was ready when I got home.  My daughter joined us for dinner.  She and I were going away for the weekend.

My daughter needs a certain number of Continuing Education Units to maintain her medical license.  A portion of the requirement may be fulfilled through online lectures and quizzes, and the balance needs to be acquired through in-person workshops, conferences, and conventions.  She signed up for a three-day conference in Portland [Maine] and invited me to join her for a weekend in the city.

I didn't think twice before I said yes.  I love Portland.  There is always something to do.

Early in the week we heard it was going to snow.  As the week wore on the predicted amounts increased and the word "blizzard" entered the conversation.

The good news is that we arrived at the hotel Thursday evening with no trouble at all.  Even though the snow started Friday morning, roads were still passable and a friend took me to lunch at a new-to-me Japanese restaurant.

The not so good news is that the snow and wind picked up Friday afternoon, the train station and airport closed, the hotel filled up with people who hadn't planned to stay all weekend, and not all speakers slated for the conference have been able to make it to Portland.

More good news is that my daughter will be able to cobble enough hours to make the weekend worthwhile, we are safely housed in a hotel that has a restaurant, and I have happily entertained myself with my laptop and cable TV.

We expected the wind to gust up to 55 miles an hour last night as the snow continued to fall.

We didn't expect to hear the fire alarm just after midnight.  My first reaction was that it must be a mistake.  I opened the door to smell burning rubber and to be told we needed to evacuate the 11th floor.  My daughter and I grabbed our phones and laptops, pulled our down jackets on over our pajamas, and made our way down the fire stairs.  We had to exit into the night but were allowed to enter the lobby to wait for the all-clear.  Three firetrucks quickly arrived.  Firefighters found the problem, an overheated motor from what I could gather, and gave us the okay to return to our rooms.

We were back in bed by 1:00.  Snow drifts were piling up in whiteout conditions while the wind howled.

This morning we hear that the storm system should pass through by late afternoon.  Thirty inches of snow has accumulated so far.  We have plans for brunch in the hotel, and my daughter has lectures to attend depending on which speakers are here.  We will venture out later today, when things calm down, to see what the storm has left behind.  We have evening reservations, and with luck the restaurant will be open.

I said to my daughter that the weekend isn't over and maybe there are more surprises in store.  I hope it's something good....

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thinking of you as I see the snow reports. So pleased you are having this special time with your daughter.
Be Safe...

Carolynn Anctil said...

My goodness, that's a little more excitement than I'd like - especially the late night fire alarm. Why is it that they always seem to go off in the middle of the night? I hope the rest of your trip is good.

20 North Ora said...

That's scary about the fire alarm going off in the hotel. Glad it wasn't anything too serious. My kids always tease me because one of the first things I do is locate the fire escape route in a hotel.

Hope the snow doesn't keep you from getting back home.

Good luck and stay warm.

Judy

Laura said...

oh my goodness Sharon what an adventure!!! I'm glad you got to spend time with your daughter... you will have this story to reminisce about for many years to come!

teri said...

Well that is wild and disconcerting! I think it is funny that you grabbed your laptops and such, I know I would! Glad you had a massage. I had one the other day too. ( I had a cold and thought it would accelerate the symptoms- but it didn't. The rash around my eyes became spectacular though). I will go forward now and catch up on your other posts. I am just not able to do much blog reading lately. I don't know what is wrong.