Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Safety Not Guaranteed

Last week my older son called via Skype to let me know he was safe in China, where he travels several times a year for work.  All was well.   He wanted us to know he knew what connections he would need to make to leave quickly if the situation in North Korea should escalate.  I was glad to hear his voice.  Most times I look for a post on Facebook that he has safely arrived overseas or has returned safely home.

He was the one I was concerned about....

Yesterday was a holiday in Maine.  We are the only state other than Massachusetts that celebrates Patriots' Day, which commemorates the first battles of the Revolutionary War at Lexington and Concord.  For some, like Ken, it's a day off.

My daughter and younger son were working, so it was unusual to get a call from my daughter in the middle of the afternoon.   I was watching Netflix while I worked on a new quilt, and Ken was working in the yard.  She wanted to let me know that she had communicated with our younger son in Boston via text and that he was okay.  Then she told me about the explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  I couldn't believe it.  The first reports must be mistaken.

There was no mistake.  Bombs went off and people were injured.

I immediately posted on Facebook that T was safe.  It was the fastest way to get the word out to the most people.  I called my mom, who doesn't use the computer.  I emailed a friend who isn't on FB.

I am grateful that my children are safe.  They are the first to remind me that they know how to take care of themselves.  They are living the lives they want to live.   

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Yes, they are living the lives
they want to live.
My son just left for a weekend
in N.Y. - visiting two of my granddaughters or rather tea or coffee with them. My children and grandchildren are scattered
everywhere.
Mom/gm, likes it here by the woods.

Carolynn Anctil said...

It's a tragedy, all of it. Nothing was ever accomplished through violence. So glad to hear that your loved ones are safe.

Helen said...

True that your children know how to take care of themselves; that doesn't lessen parental concern. When we open our eyes in the morning we never know what the day will bring and it is the unknown that causes concern and, sometimes, worry. Serious illness, disease, natural disaster, accidents caused by another’s poor judgment, terrorism. Parents are always grateful when the kids check in and report that all is well.

Another senseless tragedy this week. More families suffering, grieving and in mourning. Quoting Mike Barnicle on the Charlie Rose show, we aren't fighting a war on terrorism, “it is a daily duel with terrorism.”

God bless those who were directly affected in the Boston bombing. And thank God for the good reports received from family and friends in the hours after the breaking news.

RURAL said...

It's not a easy world to live in anymore....

Jen

teri said...

I am grateful they are safe. I am sad for those who were in harms way. It feels as though the world give way beneath our feet again and again.