Saturday, July 20, 2013

Re-entry Can Be Rocky

I forgot how hard it is to come home from Goddard.  I can bring the ideas back with me, but the camaraderie and conversations are nearly impossible to duplicate.  For me, there is no substitute for sitting with like-minded souls who have time to let the conversation evolve.

Several of us made the commitment to work on a project through email.  This is complicated for me because they want to use google docs and I'm not set up to do that just yet.  My hope was to get an account in place this weekend...

But I returned home to no internet at my house.  There was a severe thunder storm Wednesday night, and by all accounts the lightening show was fierce.  Apparently lightening struck somewhere important to the DSL component of our telephone line because the modem, the wireless phone system, and the TV/DVD system with internal modem are all burnt out.  No lights.  No internet.

I hadn't been home an hour when I was on the phone to our phone company; thank goodness we keep old-fashioned plug-in phones for just such an event.  They will ship us a new modem and it should be here Monday...no, make it Tuesday.... So no internet at home until then.  I like a nice coffee shop with free wifi as much as the next person, but I am really missing internet at home.

We replaced the phone system.  Of course the new model is not compatible with the previous one, so all new phones were needed.

The TV/DVD player are being assessed by the Geek Squad at Best Buy.  They will call next week to tell us what's what, repair or replacement.  It will be a week after that before we get a voucher for one or both, depending how much is covered by the plan Ken purchased.

So life takes a u-turn from all that I planned to write and do once I got home.  My head is full of ideas and things I want to share.  I thought if I shared more here, it would keep the motivation alive.  I will attempt to keep a rhythm going until I have regular online access again.

Meanwhile I am wistful for all that happened in Vermont.  I will continue to study and write.  I can try to duplicate the crab cakes I had for dinner at the New England Culinary Institute, although it's worth another trip to Montpelier for a meal there.  I came home with titles of books, some of which I already own, to read and websites to visit.  My computer skills will be tested as I set up accounts and work with spreadsheets, but I'm up for the challenge and can call on my local expert, aka daughter, to help.

The frustration has somewhat lessened as plans have been put in place.  I am reminded once again that life happens.  This too shall pass....    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your network, but wow, you came home with some wonderful gifts. Having to wait a bit before getting fully started might just intensify the motivation.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I hate it when my internet isn't working, even for a few minutes. Our power goes out here with irritating regularity. Fortunately, it doesn't stay out for long. I can't imagine the kind of storm that would knock out your phones, too!

For the past year, or so, I've been spending time with an old fashioned pen and notebook in the mornings. I write free form for about 20 minutes and it's become a form of meditation of sorts for me. I also work through things that have been rattling around in my head and it's amazing the revelations and ideas I get while I'm doing this. Maybe that's a way to keep your thoughts and ideas fresh while you await the return of modern technology and all her foibles.

RURAL said...

It shall pass, and soon it will all be a memory, some good, some not so good.

Being without internet and it's friends isn't easy. I do hope that it gets organized for you soon.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Sharon, thanks so much for your comment this morning on Elderwomen Musings and for your previous comments. The past two and a half years have been so extraordinarily busy and pressured for me that I've all but stopped my blogging, save for the commitment to Elderwomen. From time to time I am able to visit on Ernestine's sight, and I've frequently seen your picture and comments. I am reading no one else's blogs at this time. But I have just taken some time (and will again) to read a number of your posts, which I have very much enjoyed. I appreciate your forthcomingness and expressions of vulnerability and uncertainty (I know the latter two so well myself), so I'm now "hooked" wondering what you will share about the next chapters in your life. I want you to know that I was so touched to receive your message written in the wee hours this morning. How many times I've been awake at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. I'm so glad my words were of some comfort. I am wishing you well in this new phase of your life. I love seeing your quilting. Bravo for your willingness to take charge and move on with what you must do. Bravo for your commitment to knowing purpose in your life. As to this post with your technological concerns: ah, how I struggle with all of that. As I am moving to a rural area (more so than where I am now), I have still not figured out how I'll get internet connection. And I'm dragging my feet on figuring that out.

Good wishes to you.