Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sing A Song A Sign

I came late to compact disc player ownership.  I had a fine record collection and didn't think those small shiny discs would ever replace vinyl.  I held out as long as I could, but the time came when the music I wanted to buy was not available on vinyl because CDs had indeed caught on.

It didn't take long for me to see why CDs were so popular ~ an entire "record" would play with one touch of the finger.  I was soon a fan.  I didn't have to stop painting or cooking or washing windows to turn the record over halfway through.

Imagine my amazement, years later, when we purchased a CD player that held five discs.  With years of practice I have perfected use of the shuffle mode that plays songs from the discs at random. I pride myself on my ability to "mix" music so that the artists and songs complement each other and provide hours of enjoyable listening.

My daughter enjoys a lot of the same music I do.  When she visits, she will sometimes put a mix together.  Other times she starts the music that's already in the player, and tonight that was her choice.

My daughter's last twenty-four hours have been busy.  It is one thing to make plans; it is something else altogether when everything that needs to happen falls into place all at once.  Someone made an offer on my daughter's house last evening, and it's only been listed for four weeks.  Today she made an offer on a house that was listed just yesterday.  And now things need to happen at warp speed....

So tonight's mix of the music of John Hiatt, Maia Sharp, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Van Morrison, and Alanis Morissette was just the right sound at the end of an overwhelming day.  We had a meal of delicious leftovers and plotted all the possible things to do next with no way to know what tomorrow holds, much less what next week looks like.  My daughter and her dog said good-night and as I heard her car door close, Alanis Morissette came on the stereo.  It was too perfect for me not to share.  It really "is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine."  

"Hand In My Pocket"
by Alanis Morissette

I'm broke but I'm happy
I'm poor but I'm kind
I'm short but I'm healthy, yeah
I'm high but I'm grounded
I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed
I'm lost but I'm hopeful baby
What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving a high five

I feel drunk but I'm sober
I'm young and I'm underpaid
I'm tired but I'm working, yeah
I care but I'm restless
I'm here but I'm really gone
I'm wrong and I'm sorry baby

What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be quite alright
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is flicking a cigarette
And what it all comes down to
Is that I haven't got it all figured out just yet
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving the peace sign

I'm free but I'm focused
I'm green but I'm wise
I'm hard but I'm friendly baby
I'm sad but I'm laughing
I'm brave but I'm chickenshit
I'm sick but I'm pretty baby

And what it all boils down to
Is that no one's really got it figured out just yet
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is playing the piano
And what it all comes down to my friends
Is that everything's just fine fine fine
'cause I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is hailing a taxi cab

[Harmonica solo]

6 comments:

MsGraysea said...

Love that Alanis song....Hoping the two real estate deals go along with out a hitch.....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Love that song
and another hope all falls in place :)

Carolynn Anctil said...

I rarely have music playing in the house. I enjoy the quiet so much more. I do listen to it in the car from time to time.

I've been a hold out for most new technological things. I'd still have a rotary dial phone, if I could. ;o)

Blessings,
Carolynn

ellen abbott said...

selling and moving can be so nerve wracking hoping it all comes together at the same time. my daughter accepted a contract to sell her house and then couldn't find a place to move to. they want to rent instead of own for now. closing is next Monday and she finally found a house last week with enough bedrooms and that will take pets and that isn't too far (tho farther than she would have liked) from work and schools. whew!

Anonymous said...

I do understand people like Carolynn who covet silence, but I'm not one of them. Music helps me think, and process thoughts and work. I'm not a shuffler, though; I rather enjoy the serendipity of a certain radio station. Still, it's very cool that you create a soundtrack for the times of your life.

cindy said...

I love when life has a perfect soundtrack. The older you get,the more that happens. At least for me. Sounds exciting and fun where you're at right now:)