Sunday, May 17, 2015

Perspective Is Everything

Two weeks ago I saw the movie While We're Young.  It looked like fun and I wanted to see Naomi Watts in her latest role.  I enjoyed her performances in Birdman, as an actress, and St. Vincent, as a Russian stripper.  In this current release she and Ben Stiller play a 40-something married couple, Cornelia and Josh, dealing with the shift in their friendships as their friends have babies.  Cornelia and Josh are befriended by a younger couple that introduces them to new experiences, and in the beginning they find it exciting and fun.  Then the reality of what the younger couple is really after sets in, and Cornelia and Josh take a hard look at where they are in their lives, what they value, and what they really want.

It's this last part that made the movie for me.  I've been thinking about it for two weeks.  The message, for me, is that our experiences make us who we are and we continue to evolve as long as we choose to.  At every age we question where we've been and what's next.  At any age we can learn more and change course if that makes sense.

I feel unfinished, and that is okay with me.  I don't know what's next, and I have decided that is my new normal.  That's hard to explain to people who make plans and follow through.  My plans haven't worked out, so I either need to be okay with that and move on, or give up.  I haven't given up.

Reflections on this movie have shone a new light on how I can feel about where I am in life.

My new motto is, "While I'm young."  With that in mind, there isn't anything I can't do.

8 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I rarely make plans past a few days. I do have long term goals I guess and directions but on a daily basis I generally just go with the flow.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I want to see this movie :)
on being unfinished
this one just turned 80
and many changes from 70 on.
My life a continual journey and changed dramatically from age 43 onward when I went through a divorce and struck out on my own and I still feel unfinished
and going forward until the end.
Lately feel there may be a number of more years and will have to adjust to another new me
guess one that moves slower :)

Deb said...

Life is a constantly changing mosaic and while it would be comforting to know what's coming next I think it would be rather boring too! So glad to hear you are embracing whatever life may bring your way Sharon, enjoy the ride!

Wisewebwoman said...

Marked this movie to see, thanks. I feel highly unfinished and get excited just thinking about what's up next. :)
XO
WWW

RURAL said...

I've been wanting to see this movie...it sounds wonderful.

That feeling of not being finished, I totally agree, and maybe it's our joy of living, of not putting aside our dreams as we age that is poking at us...I'm not finishing up anytime soon.

Jen

Anonymous said...

This is some damned good advice.

Laura said...

I think we are all "unfinished" Sharon. I have not seen the movie, I'm intrigued. No matter how many plans we make, or how hard we try to stick to them… life happens, and that's just how it is. We figure out what to do, how to be day by day. That has been my experience. And some days we just feel lost, and that's ok too.

cindy said...

Want to watch this movie today! Sharon, plans are those things (at least for me) that never work out. Sure I have goals and aspirations but life just seems determined to shake things up, always always. I just try to ride the wave and do the things that make me feel how I want to feel:) Like watch a good film.