Friday, June 5, 2015

I Am Not Invisible

Dear Hair Stylist,

I appreciate the phone message you left at 4:24 on Tuesday to apologize for running late.  I do not plan to reschedule.

It had already been a bad day.  I stood outside in the cold rain for 50 minutes on recess duty and wasn't able to get warm the rest of the afternoon.  As I left the building for my 4:00 hair appointment I passed the library where staff had gathered to interview for the two positions for which I applied but was not invited to interview.

When I arrived at the shop there were others waiting.  By 4:10 everyone else had been attended to, so I confirmed at the desk that I had a 4:00 appointment.  Yes, they said, and you were running late.  I watched you chatting and laughing with the woman in your chair.  I calculated the minimum I could ask you to do so I could meet my later commitment.  At 4:18 you and she walked past me into another room without acknowledging my presence.  If I was in the chair by 4:20 I'd be okay; I had 30-40 minutes for a haircut but not 50-60.  But you didn't return.  I asked myself what I needed to do to feel okay.  At 4:20 I told the woman at the desk I had to leave.

I do like the way you cut my hair.  I do not like the way I feel in the shop where you work.

Sincerely,
Sharon

8 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I understand that sometimes we all run late but to not even acknowledge you when she sees you standing there was rude and dismissive. I don't put up with that either.

Helen said...

It never feels good to be ignored and it's not okay. When we interact with others we never know what they are going through at that moment. A person's value acknowledged and a kind word spoken could make all the difference.

And, whatever happened to the courteous service part of service industries?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

she was rude...

Wisewebwoman said...

I had that happen to me too one time and I went over to her and excused myself and asked her very nicely, "how long more?" and she spoke to me like a dog: "would you please go sit?"

I never went back even though I loved how she cut my hair.

Since then I found a wonderful cutter and human being.

I hope you do too.

Sorry about your awful day. :(

XO
WWW

Laura said...

I'm sorry you had such an awful day Sharon. We all have them, but that doesn't make yours any less frustrating and disappointing. The hairdresser may not have seen you and you may feel a bit unseen not having the interview for the library job… but we see you. You are not invisible, you are beautiful and precious.

tracey said...

Sharon, I do hair and this stylist was indeed very rude. Despite her cutting skills, the human skills are really the most important thing. Good for you for doing what you need to feel better, especially in light of your difficult day.

As others have said, you are certainly not invisible, though it can feel exactly that way. I have felt that way many times myself, and I've decided that it's really that other people have blinders on and can't even "see".

Big hugs to you!!

Anonymous said...

Did you send this to her -- because I really think you should. It might be a revelation to her.

MsGraysea said...

Sharon....I agree that this letter should be sent to the stylist. That really was the essence of rudeness. Not only should the stylist have addressed her lateness, but the receptionist most certainly should have been acknowledging you and assuring you they would be with you shortly. I am sorry about the interview, too. Hard time.
Hoping your road trip has brightened your spirits!!