Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Beginning Again

I have just had a ten-day winter break. It was wonderful to have time with family and time to catch up with all the things I hadn't had time to do for months.

The week before break I started a new job. I'm teaching first grade in a small school close to the coast. I first learned about the school four years ago and there are not often openings. It was just by chance that I saw the ad for this job when I did in early October. I'd had a frustrating day and checked a statewide website to see what openings there were in the area, not expecting to apply anywhere. This first grade opening was listed: a teacher needed from mid-December to the end of the year. I figured they already had someone lined up so I didn't give it a serious thought.

Things at school were not improving and there was no sign that anything was going to change. Mid-October I checked the website again and noted the ad was still active. I didn't think I had the time or energy to update my resume and get an application packet together. By the end of the month I figured I didn't have anything to lose. The closing date was October 31 so I spent the weekend before putting everything together; Ken put it in the mail for me two days before the deadline.

By the end of that week I had an interview lined up for November 6, when I faced a serious interview committee for 45 minutes of thorough questioning. I was glad to have the chance to learn more about the school but couldn't get a read on how well I did. I must have done okay because a week later I got a job offer. I accepted and two days later tendered my letter of resignation effective December 14.

In the past I have never considered leaving a class during the school year. This year was different for two reasons: the students work well together, and there is a talented educational technician in the room every day. I know the students will be fine because they will support each other, and they will have a consistent adult in the room.

It was up to me to make a change because the situation wasn't going to. I miss the people I worked with. To a person they were kind and generous as they wished me well. They all understand, which made leaving easier. People commented that I looked happier. The woman in the mirror agrees.

So here I go, truly beginning again. Let the journey continue....


3 comments:

Jacquleine said...

Happy New Year. May this new position bring you joy and contentment.
We both should commit to more writing this new year. Can't wait to hear your stories of this journey.

Jacquleine

Things that make me happy said...

Happy New Year and congrats on the position!

MsGraysea said...

Hi Sharon,
Congratulations on this new job. First grade sounds so wonderful, and sure hope it brings you lots of joy.
I think about you often..
My writing time is so erratic and it seems every sentence has an interruption. Still living with my son and wife and caring for Teddy.....10 now, and doing really well.

The best to you,
Marcia