Tuesday, July 23, 2019

A Trip Long Planned

Almost 11 years ago my sister and her husband moved to Edinburgh, Scotland. They went for 3 years so he could do research and teach at the University. They loved it. When the grant ended, they moved back to the States. Then there was an opportunity for them to move back to Edinburgh; they took it.

Since their first trip I have wanted to go for a visit. This is the summer to go. I fly tonight.

I bought my ticket in April and have been mentally planning for weeks. There were phone calls to make to the bank, credit card company, and cell provider; money to exchange; check-ins with AAA to make sure I had my ducks in a row; lists to write, check off, and write again. I have laid out what I'm taking, and now it's time to pack.

I will take a bus from Portland to Boston. From there I will take a straight-through flight to Edinburgh. I'm taking the leap to check my luggage, a first since another airline lost my bag five years ago. I trust it will arrive with me since we'll be on the same flight, but I'm not packing anything I can't live without just in case.

I love the idea of travel. I'm good at getting everything lined up. I always have a good time once I'm at my destination. It's the 24 hours right before take-off that are nerve-wracking. Moving through that time now, I keep my eye on the prize of seeing my sister and brother-in-law and visiting someplace new.

I figured out how to create blog posts on my phone but I'm not sure I'll take time to work on the small screen. I will post photos on Instagram @ owlinmaine.

I will definitely post here when I return. The journey continues....

No comments: