Sunday, November 9, 2008

Foggy and Clear

*Note: My latest post is up at 50-something moms blog ~ Bands of Gold.

Yesterday Ken and I visited a popular spot on the southern coast of Maine.

The Portland Head Light in fog ~

Waves on Maine's rocky coast ~

A statue at the playground in Fort Williams Park ~

A spider's web outlined with water droplets ~

Ken and I wanted to "get out of Dodge" for a day. That's code for getting away from the house and doing something purely for the fun of it. We were going to take a ferry to one of the islands off the coast, but the forecast for rain delayed those plans. We decided to drive down to Cape Elizabeth to see the Portland Head Lighthouse, called that because it guides ships headed into Portland Harbor. It is a worthy destination even in inclement weather. Fog blanketed the area and added a surreal quality to the park, which we explored from paved trails and leaf-covered lawns.

While walking and talking, Ken and I had a chance to reconnect. Just us, about us, for us. We had only ourselves to focus on and enjoy.

It started to drizzle, so we drove into Portland for lunch. Lobsters are plentiful right now. In an effort to support the local economy, I had a bowl of lobster stew and Ken had a lobster roll. No sacrifice there - the food was delicious. On the way home we stopped at a favorite bakery for coffee and dessert. Unhurried and unscheduled, the day turned into night and a relaxed evening at home.

I had no control over the weather. The day required no planning on my part. It was clear to me that at times I work too hard to make things happen. I worry too much about how things will turn out. Days like yesterday are gifts that remind me to relax and enjoy this trip, my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear friend sent me a card recently that said, "Savor each day for the gift that it is." You did just that yesterday. I could picture your day and it made me happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I miss Maine terribly! I have NE roots and that is our vacation spot and has been since I was small. The Portland headlight is my fave picnic spot ever. We always eat at the lobster shack by two lights...not the best seafood to be head, but the best view by far!!

Thank you for sharing your day and making Maine seem a little bit closer if even for a moment.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous photos! You just gave me a sweet reminder of our late fall honeymoon in New England, 28 years ago. Doug and I still talk about having Maine lobster (on that honeymoon trip) at a very casual place -- at a price we could afford. The best lobster we ever tasted! Thanks for reminding me of a special memory. And isn't it great that you and your husband could make that time for each other?

CaShThoMa said...

"I had no control over the weather. The day required no planning on my part. It was clear to me that at times I work too hard to make things happen. I worry too much about how things will turn out."

Sharon; I so connect with your words above. That a day can turn out to be so lovely without our direct input is the message; we are along for the ride and we make of it what it is.

Glad to be back reading your posts after our trip abroad.