Friday, January 6, 2012

Epiphany

January 6.

In Christian history, this is the date that the Magi reached Bethlehem to visit the nativity. In my mind, it means that the story is just beginning....

My oldest son and his wife left for Boston today and will fly home to California tomorrow.

My youngest son left for Seattle on Tuesday to return to classes the very next day.

We had such a wonderful holiday. There is something to be said for a family of adults that shares the spirit of Christmas with genuine kindness and caring.

It doesn't feel right to say that life will now return to normal. Life felt normal while everyone was together, sharing homemade meals and telling stories. We had days with each other and hours in a row to enjoy conversations about daily life and everyday occurrences.

I made a point to soak in all I could.

Now life will go on. We will not be able to relay the everydayness of our lives over the coming weeks and months.

Tomorrow I will take down the tree and put Christmas away, but I will remember this year as one of the best Christmases ever.

I did not take one moment for granted.

I enjoyed every minute.

7 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

So happy for this family time for you.
Not so at the cottage in the woods.
Seems everyone was in anther world.
Also I was in the middle of a bad cold and fever. All well at the moment.
My youngest and her family were near...

Joanne said...

I'm glad you had the Christmas you'd hoped for, it sounds wonderful. I always feel a little sad when I take down the tree and put away the decorations. I guess it's partly because it feels like I'm putting away a certain wonder of the season ... until next year.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, So lovely! I am warmed at the thought of the holiday you enjoyed last month. Savor the time in your memory, and in your journal!

Carolynn Anctil said...

"I did not take one moment for granted" That's really the key to all of it, isn't it? Being aware of all that we have to be grateful for, in that moment, and savouring it. It's all any of us really have, is it not?

teri said...

The hardest part is putting it all away. I still have one little tree in the dining room- the first thing I put up- such a bright and cheery greeter. I thought about leaving it up and adding hearts for Valentines day.

Laura said...

I can only imagine how this must have felt and feels now for you Sharon. As Belin nears high school graduation, I am doing all I can to be present to our beautiful girls...mindful of the brevity of our days together as a family under one roof. I'm so happy it was such a memorable holiday for you dear one.

cindy said...

It is so important to cherish the moments. I was impossible to my family left here in Detroit when both my boys moved away. I didn't want anything to do with family that didn't have my boys in it. I stopped making Easter and Thanksgiving dinner and stopped having Christmas eve, too. It took a long time to realize I was hurting my family who are only an hour away. Just this year for the first time I went to my brother's home for Xmas and truly enjoyed myself with no feelings of loss or envy. My brother has one son, just 18. He has no idea what's ahead. I've adjusted, but it took a long time.