Saturday, January 19, 2013

Skinny Jeans

Two weeks ago I was flipping through channels on the TV.  I was trying to adjust the color on the television Ken bought in December.  The flat screen was a surprise to me.  I didn't think we needed a new television, or a home stereo system for that matter, but I enjoy movies and television series on DVD and want what's on the screen to look normal.  I needed to figure out how to get colors, sharpness, contrast, and tint as close to true as possible.

I don't watch daytime television anymore, but I decided the best way to adjust the picture was to watch as large a cross section of programming as possible.  I flipped among talk shows, game shows, newscasts, soap operas, and commercials at different times throughout the day and fiddled with the settings.

I thought I had things pretty well set when I happened upon "Dr. Oz."  He looked orange, and thanks to him I was able to make the final necessary fine-tuning adjustments.  This particular show opened with women from the audience making a show of throwing away their fat pants.

Fat pants?  I don't have fat pants. 

I have a different strategy.  I keep a pair of skinny jeans ~ jeans that I've had for several years and wear periodically to make sure they still fit.  When they finally wear out to the point that I can't wear them in public any more I wear them as "paint" pants around the house.  Then another old pair of jeans becomes my skinny jeans.  This clothes recycling strategy seems to be working.

Today I wore my skinny jeans to run errands.  They are frayed at the hem and the waistband, but no one could tell because I was wearing boots and a bulky sweater.

My skinny jeans still fit.  Phew.  That was a relief, although I do need to start paying more attention.

This time of year is the most challenging.  I walk on the treadmill but I'm not as active as I am the rest of the year.  During the winter months baked goods from a warm oven taste the most delicious with a fresh cup of coffee, and the right glass of wine can make a simple dinner special.  My goal is to not have to give up the things I most like to eat and drink.

I acknowledge that my body has changed shape in the seven years since menopause.  Some of that was inevitable due to physiological changes.  It means I don't have the control over my shape that I once did, but it doesn't mean I can't manage my weight. 

My skinny jeans will keep me honest, and I have some painting to do.  Let's hope my paint pants still fit....    

6 comments:

Things that make me happy said...

I have skinny jeans, too. What has helped me more than anything was changing my diet -- but making it a lifestyle, not a "diet." I am now on a (mostly) veggie plan, with fish for special occasions. I've really had to learn a lot of new recipes, but rely a lot on various soups and salads. Luckily, I do love my vegetables -- and the reward is that I feel SO much better and my skinny jeans fit nicely :-) Glad your new year is off to a great start, and it sounds like you have a healthy attitude and lifestyle, Sharon!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'm shocked at how much my body has betrayed me in these last 2 years of peri-menopause. I've gained a lot of weight and I've never had that problem before. My diet isn't the problem, I only eat 1 - 2 meals a day and usually choose well, although I could be faulted with enjoying a few too many starches, perhaps. No, for me, it's output that's lacking. We're awaiting the delivery of treadmill so I/we can get some cardio exercise. With the extreme weather here, especially during the winter, I'm just not getting any exercise. Many of my clothes don't fit anymore and I'm not prepared to outfit my closet with a whole new wardrobe. Besides, that wouldn't be the healthy choice. I'm envious of your skinny jeans. *smile*

madmomma2 said...

I have never owned a pair of skinny jeans.

cindy said...

I admire anyone who can stay the same size jeans their entire lives. I have revamped my eating & drinking habits to get healthier so I can go sweetly into my retirement years.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love my skinny jeans :)
Since I am petite and weigh about the same since age 20 - baggy jeans not good for me.
News from someone a lot older then you :)

teri said...

I got rid of my "hope to fit back in those someday", about 10 years ago and life has been so much better. It would be nice to be thin, but this short body will never be svelte. Alas at least it works... well some days. I had my last PT for my shoulder today- and start PT for my heel next week. We won't even go into all the other issues I am having. uggg