Friday, January 4, 2013

Moonlight On Snow

Two days after Christmas we had our first measurable snowfall, which meant almost eight inches for our area.  The snow started before dawn and continued all day.  I was home alone, and throughout the day I would stop whatever chore I was doing and walk to the closest window to watch the snow pile up.

It had been a good holiday for our family.  My daughter, sons, and daughter-in-law juggled work and travel schedules so they could be here all together for three days.  We packed the days with catching up, good food, stories, and board games.  I enjoyed cooking meals that I knew everyone would enjoy and was tickled that my daughter-in-law liked my wine selections.  She's training as a wine steward, so we share a love of the grape.  The days with all of us together are precious.

I started following weather predictions on Tuesday the 25th because we'd heard reports that there was quite a storm headed our way.   By that evening it was clear that we were due to get six to twelve inches of snow on Thursday.  My suggestion was that I give those headed to Boston, one back to work and two to prepare to fly back to California, a ride to the big city Wednesday afternoon.  It's great to have a trustworthy car that will take people where they need to go.  I like to drive, especially when I know where I'm going and the roads are clear.  Road trip!

I got everybody safely delivered and made it home Wednesday night before the snow started.

Ken got home late Thursday night.  He goes to work no matter the weather.  He got home and stopped in the driveway when his van would go no further, and on Friday he cleared the driveway, walkways, and deck.  The sun came out and the radiant heat filled our living room.

Friday night there was a full moon.  With all the lights off in the house, moonlight on snow lit up the yard.  Ken looked out the living room to see deer searching for acorns in the side yard.  I looked out the kitchen to see the moon shining through the trees, light reflecting off the snow.  Magical....

More snow arrived Saturday night.  The moon then returned to light the nights into the new year.

I took comfort from the light in the darkness.  It was a good start to 2013.    

5 comments:

Things that make me happy said...

You always strike such a poignant, beautiful mood in your posts, Sharon. Wishing you a beautiful New Year!

Helen said...

In my mind I can picture the moonlit snow and feel the warmth and comfort of your living room.

In this new year, may you always see the light along your pathway. And may your light from within continue to sparkle and shine on others.

Happy new year to you and yours.

Carolynn Anctil said...

So glad to hear your 2013 has begun with a touch of magic. I'm liking the optimism I hear and the time you're taking to just be in the moment.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love moonlite
Especially shinin in my woods.
Can imagine
on the snow
how beautiful.
So pleased all of your family
was with you.
A quiet Christmas
here in the woods
Much of family in other states
and countries.
But all is fine....

teri said...

Behind again, still, always. I am glad you had/have snow, and everyone was still able to get where they needed to be. Nice clean start to 2013.