Sunday, May 5, 2013

Blue And Brown

Over 35 years ago, while on my honeymoon in Maine, I bought a pattern for a Dresden Plate quilt.  Ken and I always said we wanted a bedroom done in blue and brown, so I started buying fabric with those colors.  I gave up the idea of that particular quilt but kept the fabric for a future project [the fabric with tiny rose flowers is fabric left from the first dress I made my daughter] ~
Three weeks ago I pulled out the other pieces of fabric for this quilt I've collected over the years [the piece with stars is from my daughter and is called "Possibilities"] ~
I lined the fabric up to see how the colors coordinated ~

This is just what I had in mind.  I decided to use squares ~

And rectangles, which are sewn together in threes ~
And cut in thirds to make more squares ~

The fabrics don't match but they go together.  The project is satisfying, playing with colors and patterns and shapes, making things fit.  After all this time it feels right to work on this project now.  I'm calling it my Harmony Quilt ~

10 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

It looks beautiful. I finally gave up on the quilt that's been weighing on my mind for the past several years. What a relief to realize I no longer like it and don't have to finish it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

this is beautiful
and reminds me of my mother's
many quilts over the years.
I never had her talent
or patience...

Anonymous said...

I would have the patience, if I had your talent. The art I appreciate most is beautiful and useful. Quilting, the patches, making the patches work together, wrangles the dissonance.

RURAL said...

It works wonderfully...and it is harmonious.

Beautiful colors.

Jen

Things that make me happy said...

Beautiful work, Sharon! And I love how Ken expressed interested in the decor of your bedroom. (So many men don't offer any input.) How lovely that you have a piece of art in a room you both share!

mermaid said...

Sharon, I hope you appreciate the metaphor, 'fabrics that don't match but go together' and calling it the Harmony Quilt.

We bump up against life and each other, especially in our close relationships and with ourselves. There is an inner knowing inside us that yearns to create beauty out of chaos.

I think this quilt will not only be highly symbolic, but also hold some high vibrational energies of love.

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I'm so happy to hear about the new addition! And how lovely that you're fostering a cat with some life experience. These seniors, they reward you with their heart and soul. And I want pictures!

teri said...

This is WONDERFUL. I think lots of things in life don't match but they go together perfectly.- just like your fabrics. Can't wait to see how it is progressing. xo

Laura said...

beautiful... 35 years and here we are celebrating 25... time is so strangely fluid, don't you think?

officeprojects said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.