Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Out With The Old

On Friday I called the United Airlines Claims Office in Houston, where every lost item and misdirected piece of luggage is sent.  They can tell me the exact date they received my "claim of loss" for the contents of my suitcase and the "interim claim" for necessities I purchased while in California.  They can't tell me anything else except that it will take ten weeks for my claim to be processed.  Ten weeks puts the date at April 1.   Seems fitting, no?

I called United for two reasons: to make sure Houston had received the faxed paperwork, and to ask them to please take as long as it takes to exhaust every avenue to find my luggage.  The people I talked to were pleasant and helpful and honest.  Each person assured me that my situation is not unusual, that luggage is often found and returned, and that they would much rather find my stuff than pay me to replace it.  So we are of like minds, and that's really the most I could hope for.

It has been interesting to step back and reflect on this situation.  The idea of "lost baggage" has surfaced during acupuncture appointments, as in changing habits and letting go of old stories.  I hold onto things, physical and not, and take care of things, literally and figuratively.  To what end?  And that may well be this year's quest....

Yesterday was my birthday.  I am learning to be more gentle with myself as this day approaches.  I used to set goals to be met by certain birthdates, with some success, although the year I turned 35 I was sorely disappointed that I was still a year from graduating from college.  I had decided years before that that was the magic age to have that particular achievement accomplished. 

I haven't set such a lofty goal since then.

This year my goals are short-term and attainable, as in picking up and clearing off and updating more regularly.  I am walking longer and faster on the treadmill, which tells me that regularity matters there, too.  Drink more water and less coffee.  Eat more vegetables and less sugar.

I have set the intention to find more joy.  My main goal is to feel less sad.

The journey continues....    

10 comments:

cauchy09 said...

Gosh, I know that feeling. I'd set every possible goal for myself to achieve by 30 (marriage, kids, big job, and save the world). So when I turned 29 and hadn't done any of that, I panicked about how to get it all done in a year. Heh. It's dumb, in retrospect.

And now we truly can be kinder to ourselves.

Happy Birthday!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My goal at this time of life
is just to accept, be kind to myself, eat healthy, exercise, rest more
and I guess stop expecting so much from others..
Happy Birthday
to you...
I checked Netflex
for "Is There Life Out There"
never thought to do - thank you.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I do hope there was cake involved. *smile*

Wow, I'm surprised it's taking so long for them to find your luggage. I've had luggage lost before and have received it the very next day.

Have you ever tried instituting rituals to help move things out? I find that lighting a candle, or writing out a particularly troublesome thought can help - either in a journal or on a slip of paper that you either keep or dispose of.

If joy is your intention, then you'll have it, I've no doubt.

Blessings,
Carolynn

Balisha said...

Happy Birthday a little late. Hope your day was happy with cake and candles...Balisha

Anonymous said...

Thoughtfully said, as always. I love your philosophical attitude towards stuff; and you're right, lost luggage is a great metaphor.

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Sharon… May contentment be yours. Not every moment will be joyful, not every goal met, some sadness will arise…and still contentment is absolutely possible. It is snowing like crazy here at this moment… so beautiful… may each flake be a blessing for you on this continued journey my friend.

teri said...

Ok- You still do NOT have your luggage? What is the universe saying? Good grief. I am hoping that does not happen to me when I go to Seattle next week. Sorry I have not been blogging much...Happy belated birthday.

RURAL said...

Happy Birthday, I'm sorry I missed it on the posting day. I'm with Carolynn, I hope that there was cake too.

Jen

Cindy said...

I hope they find your luggage. There is sure to be something irreplaceable among your things. The idea of letting go is not easy for me to embrace, particularly when it is something beloved. I lost a tiny china trinket box in our recent move. It was my grandmothers. I packed it with special care, but obviously not special enough. I'm hoping it's hiding in a cranny of one of the boxes of things I've yet to unpack.

Pienosole said...

Wishing you joy and a belated birthday!