Thursday, February 6, 2014

Posey Quilt

This is the strip of fabrics where the project started

Last fall my daughter passed along to me a variety of fabrics in a range of colors and sizes.  Before she started a new job she made tough decisions about what she would have time for, surveyed her stash of material and decided to keep the ones she loved and  knew she would use for projects.  I, in turn, sorted what she handed off to me ~ I had a great time organizing by color and pattern ~ and made decisions about what to keep and what to pass on.  I set aside a strip of fabrics already sewn together and identified other pieces that would complement those colors, all flower patterns.  My last post gave a glimpse of those combinations.  When I told my daughter that the quilt was for her ~ I knew she would like it because she chose the material ~ she told me that she had originally collected those fabrics to make a quilt for me!

I started sewing before Christmas and had the idea for a simple lap quilt.  Life happened and I put the project on hold until after the holidays.  When I returned from California I needed something to work on.  That one strip was joined by three more, and this week I added squares to each end to make the front~

The same size as the back, which is fifteen large squares made of long rectangles~

Pinks and purples and browns with touches of green and gold and aqua~

The cutting and arranging and pinning and sewing~

Have been a welcome distraction and the result is pleasing~

Next I need to decide how to put it together and finish it off.

It's time to move on....

I have been having a hard time.  I have learned that if I rub the bridge of my nose I can delay the onset of tears.  Saturday morning I got in line at the check-out behind a couple with a baby, and I couldn't say a word; it was all I could do to get my groceries on the counter.  I knew this would be hard, but I really didn't "know" how hard it would be to be away from my grandson.  I should have known because two years ago, at a town meeting, I sat behind a woman whose grandson was just born in San Fransisco.  She had been out to visit and had plane tickets to go again. I've learned since that she's rented an apartment out there because she goes for weeks at a time.  At the time I thought that was excessive.  Now?  I wish I could afford to do the same....

8 comments:

cauchy09 said...

sweet quilt, lady! i love those floral calicoes.

it's so hard to be so far. my sister and her kids live abroad and i miss them dearly. i hope you get to see them soon.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, sweetie. I'm sorry you're finding it so hard to be away from your grandson. In this day and age of Skype and internet though, it's not like it was a few years ago. I think it's great that this little guy is so loved. What a blessing that is. xoxo

MsGraysea said...

I just love this project, most especially that it is made with fabrics your daughter chose for you....so special and meaningful. I think I would use a med to dark border and the width would be what you need it to be in order to make just the right size for a lap quilt. using a darker color will make those lovely blocks float in a frame.
The longing we feel leaving our grandchildren is very familiar to me, as well. I hope a plan for more visits can work out for you soon. Meanwhile Skype has saved me and several other distant grandmothers I know.

Wisewebwoman said...

That is so very hard. I know tears come unbidden to me sometimes most unexpectedly.

Skype as others have said. next best thing :)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I understand...
and the quilt is beautiful

Balisha said...

It's so hard to be away from those you love. I remember when my son was in Korea...we had no way to communicate except for infrequent phone calls in those days. I have never used Skype, but it is a wonderful way to stay in touch.
I made a quilt like that years ago for my son John. It was in earth tones...he loved it and now it hangs on his wall over the stairway. Yours will be pretty with all those wonderful colors.
Cheer up now and maybe make that little one a tiny quilt for him to carry around.
Balisha

Helen said...

As always, your eye for color & fabric is producing a beautiful piece that will be treasured.
I "get" your sadness and the tears. You can't Skype a hug or snuggle or kisses. Nor the smell or touch of soft baby skin. Infants change so quickly and there simply is no good long distance grandparenting solution or substitute for being in their presence.
A big lottery hit could ensure a CA condo in your future ...

teri said...

WOW- that is beautiful. I am sure I am going to be out in Seattle quite a bit... but not enough. April is coming fast!! Wish you lived around here -you could come to our Tuesday morning quilt group- lots of supportive woman in the same boat with grandchildren far away. Happy Valentines Day!xoxox