Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Moving By Outback

At the last possible moment the sale of the house my daughter has owned for seven years fell through.  Just three weeks before the closing the buyer lost her financing.  The realtor was stunned; every inspection had been done and the house was ready.  My daughter had to decide if she was going forward with the purchase of her next house.

Experts were consulted.  Numbers were crunched.  Adjustments were made.

My daughter decided to take the leap.  Last Thursday she closed on her new house.  The move south began.

Originally movers were going to move everything.  Changes in timing meant that wasn't necessary.  She and I have been packing for weeks and started carting boxes by car as soon as she had the keys to the front door.  We each drive a 2012 Subaru Outback, which can hold a considerable amount of stuff.  A three bedroom house with a full basement holds a lot of stuff, so we started one box at a time.  Almost a week later it looks like we are making progress.

My daughter wisely hired a Maine-based company to move the furniture and chest freezer.  She and I dismantled every bed and emptied every drawer.  We literally had every piece lined up and ready to load.  On Sunday three movers arrived and loaded the truck in one hour.  On the other end they unloaded every piece and safely placed it in its new home in one hour.  It was a pleasure to watch them work and worth every penny.

The work of emptying the old house and making it shine continues.  The realtor has kept his promise to actively pursue the sale of my daughter's house.  Showings continue.

I believe the house in Augusta will be sold to someone who will appreciate it like my family has for 36 years.  That house took care of us from the first day until now.

My daughter's new house suits her and the new neighborhood is a good fit.  Her commute is half of what it was.  She and her pets are settling in.

My daughter has found her new home.   

9 comments:

Balisha said...

Moving is such a big job...no matter how it's done. To bad about the deal falling through...I hope she has success with another buyer soon.
Don't do too much...take care,
Balisha

Helen said...

Busy, exciting times! You must both be exhausted but also ecstatic. Job well done my friend.

Carolynn Anctil said...

We had that happen. It's very frustrating. Everything will, eventually, work out. Glad to hear the move went well! It's exhausting work.

Deb said...

Congratulations to your daughter on the move to her new home and sending good thoughts that the Augusta house will sell soon.

ellen abbott said...

So sorry to hear the sale of your daughters house fell through. It's never a sure thing til they sing the papers at closing. We moved into the country house one truckload at a time over the course of about a year until one day we looked around and realized we were done.

Anonymous said...

Well done, you two. It'll sell again; I give it two weeks.

cindy said...

Wow! glad she decided to take the plunge. The house will sell. Sometimes it's better when nobody lives there. People can imagine themselves there better. You're a great mom. Sounds like a lot of work, but worth it.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I remember 5 years ago building this smaller home (wanting to return to home) and putting a city house that I had only been in 2 years on the market.
Daily trips - solo - with car filled with what I could carry.
So excited and was sure city house would sell during all of this. It took longer, but I made the move and all eventually fell in place. A lot of people made the comment if I should have sold that home first and then built and moved. Somehow I knew if I did not do it at that time it might not happen.
All fell in place, moved before that home sold - but soon it did and I am where I longed to return too...
It will happen for your daughter.
She is so young and I was 74 and
it was more difficult for me at that time - but I did it :)

RURAL said...

Congrats on the new house...and a shorter commute, that in it's self will be refreshing, and lovely.

My heart goes out to your daughter, it's stressful enough without having the sale fall through at the last minute.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the perfect buyer comes through and soon.

Jen