Sunday, February 1, 2015

Under The Weather

Seven days.  Three snowstorms.  Thirty-six inches of snow.  Three snow days.

That describes the last week of January.

It was the snow days that made it possible for me to make it through the week.  I was able to muster the energy to work Monday and Thursday, but I don't know how many other days I would have made it to school.  I have been sick with sinus pressure, headache, stuffy head, sore throat, swollen glands, cough, and runny nose.  The symptoms keep cycling through so that just as I think I'm getting better something else pops up.  Other than some wooziness this morning, I felt better today.  Maybe whatever this was meant for me to ease out of January. 

I took it slow but still managed to keep up with laundry, make a dozen new cloth napkins, reserve places for my daughter and me at a quilting retreat in August, order new artwork for the bedroom, move furniture in the living room, and enjoy full hours at a time reading a new book.

There have been missteps, too.  My brain took a holiday yesterday - when I wasn't feeling any better I neglected to cancel plans with a friend and forgot to let my daughter know I wouldn't be coming by.  That's not like me.  I'm usually on top of schedules and make it a priority to keep commitments.  Those lapses are the downside of not feeling well and giving into that feeling.

An upside has been that I haven't been hungry.  Since the first of the year I have favored cookies, chips, and wine.  Being sick has broken that cycle, and I've been drinking less coffee, also a good thing.  It's a good time to start some new habits.

Fresh start today, the 1st of February.  It was sunny and the temperature got into the teens.  The Patriots won the Super Bowl.  A day like today could give a person hope...

Except that there are several inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. 

8 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Only cold and slight dusting of snow in my area. Do not like my cold and damp weather here by the woods this time of year.
Think Spring
it is what keeps me going.
Sending you healing thoughts
this early morning.

ellen abbott said...

I could never live where it snowed like that. It's pretty and all and can be fun to be in if it's a sunny day but to have to deal with it day after day? ugh.

Wisewebwoman said...

we've been light on snow and now totally absent, green and sun.

I've had a minor version of your symptoms so deepest sympathy, there's nothing worse to remove the brain cells.

Take it easy and get well soon.
XO
WWW

Laura said...

I hope you feel more your self again soon Sharon… my goodness the snow just keeps coming!

cindy said...

36 inches and a horrible battle with a persistent bug. Ugh! Sharon I'm sending you big {{hugs}} and hoping you come through to spring blossoming:) We had a foot of snow the other day here in Detroit but that's nothing to what you're dealing with, internal weather and the fluffy stuff outside. (Well, next day more like dirty solid bricks of ice...)

Helen said...

Been thinking of you and sending healing thoughts for body and spirit.

I am reminded of you every day now since our made in Maine lobster rope door mat arrived. Big smile each trip in or out of the house!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you were forgiven. (Sinus infections are the worst! Had my first one this year and it's bloody painful. Hope you're on the mend.)

Deb said...

Sorry you've been under the weather (both literally and figuratively!). Sending you some virtual chicken soup and hope that you don't get too much more snow.