Thursday, May 26, 2016

Of Flowers And Fire

On Sunday we stopped to see a neighbor in our old neighborhood.  He started laughing because he had just posted a picture of our old house on Facebook ~ he said he takes one every year because "our" lilacs signify spring. We could smell the blooms from his driveway.

I need to research if lilacs might grow in the shade of our current property.  I am going to try forsythia seedlings at the edge of the woods.  A splash of color would be a welcome replacement for the rhododendron that were eaten by deer.

I don't know what to call our yard other than "the woods."  We do have a few flowers~
Wild ladyslippers pop up everywhere
Hardy perennials grow on the hill
Bleeding heart thrives in a corner
The flowers that grow here are able to take care of themselves.  The trees and fallen leaves that cover most of the landscape require little maintenance but demand a certain amount of caution.  We are aware of the fire hazard of the layer of dead leaves and take measures to insure the safety of "our woods."

So I was alarmed three weeks ago when I saw smoke rising from the adjacent property recently purchased by a couple from out of town.  I trekked into the woods to see what was up and met the new owners, happily tending a good-sized bonfire.  I introduced myself, shared my sense of alarm at the sight of smoke, and asked if they had a burn permit.  They did.  I asked how they got one without a water source on the property.  They showed me three five-gallon jugs of water they'd drawn from the nearby stream.  I told them there were strict guidelines for having a fire in this town; they said they were aware of that and had procedures in place to be safe.

Two weeks later I got a call from the neighbor on the other side of us.  There had a been a fire in the woods behind our property.  The new neighbors had not sufficiently doused a fire, the embers reignited, and the flames took off through the underbrush.  Thankfully the fire department arrived in time to contain and put out the fire.  He told me he talked to the new neighbors, who said they weren't planning to have any more fires.  I sincerely hope they hold to that~
View from the road
Stretch of scorched ground
Stone wall that edges our property

I may be a city girl at heart but I take guardianship of "our woods" to heart, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your fire-terror. That's the downside, and it's a big one, to living in the San Gabriels.

ellen abbott said...

living in the woods makes fire very scary. it's amazing how many people don't know the difference between banking a fire and putting out a fire. they probably just banked it. my son-in-law did a burn on his wooded property with no water source. my daughter was alarmed enough to go to the store and buy as many jugs of water as she could. he was all nonchalant about it and while they used all the water, he covered the remaining coals with dirt. I was alarmed too so I went out with him the next day and the fire was still smoldering and smoking. so we scattered the coals and stomped on them and doused with more water and finally got it out. they don't live out there yet, are building a cabin but I wasn't about to let him leave for a week without that fire being out.

Helen said...

Thumbs up for "your" lilacs blooming and the official arrival of spring! Keep us posted about your forsythia and whether or not you plant lilacs.

Thumbs down for your careless neighbors who clearly don't have a respect for or understanding of tending fire. Big blessing that significant damage was not done. Perhaps a lesson was learned and they will return with good neighbor spirit.

cindy said...

Oh wow. I'm glad you had spoken to them, and cautioned them, before this happened. I'm sorry it didn't stop a fire from getting too close for comfort. Those neighbors, I hate to say this, sound like careless people. I hope they heed the fire marshall's warnings and don't start any more fires.

Wisewebwoman said...

I get hyper about fires too and residents try and sneak off all the time and light one "for the kids" or whatever. They could raze our town to the ground with all the trees and wooden buildings. *sigh*
XO
WWW

MsGraysea said...

I love the flowers you have....just right and wonderful they are fairly low maintenance. So special to have the Ladyslippers. So glad the fire situation is contained for now. it has been so dry in NE, and here the fire danger is very high right now....hope there are no more. Some people just cannot help but dance with high risk.

Hope you are having a nice summer!