Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Technology, Travel, and Teaching

This August is one for the books. I got a job, my desktop bit the dust, and I traveled to California to meet my granddaughter ~
Piper at three weeks old
I love this picture. Piper was napping beside me on the couch and she looked so relaxed. She's three weeks old in the photo. I swear she grew before my eyes.

I practiced traveling with just my phone when we went to New York in July. In the past I've taken a digital camera and my laptop and downloaded photos throughout a trip. I didn't want to lug my laptop to California this summer so took the chance to travel sans computer in July. I missed my laptop but got more comfortable with the camera on my phone which paid off as I was able to easily email photos of the grandkids home during my trip. Ken appreciated that.

The desktop refused to turn on just two days before I left for San Jose. It's not like it hadn't earned the right to be done after nine years. I wasn't ready to deal with its demise but I wasn't going to replace it until it was absolutely necessary. Thankfully my computer guru determined that the data could be saved to an external drive, so it was the best case scenario and something I could deal with upon my return in mid-August. Luckily by then I had a job and didn't need to access my resume and supporting documents in a timely manner. I had backed up photos but not documents, a lesson now learned.

I have waited to write about the job because I didn't want to jinx it. My contract was approved by the school board this week and only then did I feel comfortable announcing my news to the world. Everything happened very quickly: application made, cover letter sent, call for an interview, interview held, and job offer all within the space of six days. I was offered the job on August 1, one week before I left for California. It still feels a bit surreal, not just that I have a real job after nine years of searching but that I am going back to teaching and going into an area new to me. I will be a Resource Room teacher working with students who qualify for special education services. I will get training and take classes and have a supportive team to help me throughout the process. I am positively giddy about the thought of this job.

It has been an amazing 24 days ~
Me with my son and grandson in CA

6 comments:

cindy said...

Piper is an angel! And what a great August you have had. Many congratulations on the job. Long time coming, but you stayed in there and pushed past obstacles when others might have just given up. As for your desktop computer. I gave mine up when it died because I had a laptop. For awhile I used an external keyboard and monitor with my laptop but now I mostly just use the laptop. I don't even have a mouse anymore!

ellen abbott said...

sweet baby and congrats on the job.

teri said...

You have persevered on ALL fronts. I am SOOOOO happy for you my dear. This makes me so happy.

Glad to see you with your grandchildren. Xoxoxo

Pienosole said...

Great news all around! Congratulations and all the best as you start the new academic year!

Helen said...

2016 has been an exciting summer! Good thoughts as you head into the school year. I am confident in your ability to meet the challenges ahead. I predict that you will excel, your students will flourish and parents will be thankful you made a career path change.

MsGraysra said...

Sharon,
So many blessings at once. I am so happy for you!! Cannot wait to hear how your new job is coming along, and I am sure you will love it and them you!

Marcia