Thursday, July 20, 2017

July So Far

July started with the purchase of a 2015 GMC Sierra truck. I have driven it once, and it feels big. I will need to get used to driving a truck again because it has been many years. This is what it looks like in our driveway~
The next two nights we stayed in Bar Harbor, and the first morning the harbor was fogged in~
It cleared by late morning. That afternoon we drove to Northeast Harbor to visit Thuya Gardens, a unique place we discovered 31 years ago and have not been back to see since. It is quite the hike up a hill to the top~
From that same spot I looked back to see Northeast Harbor~
There was still a ways to go. We will stop at the lookout on our way down~
There is an enormous wooden gate at the entrance to the gardens~
And the place is as beautiful and peaceful as we remembered~
Many flowers had gone by, yet the beauty remained~
The peonies were still stunning~
From the lookout I could see the harbor flow into the ocean~
That weekend was a great way to start July. The next week I finished the top to my grandson's quilt~
The weather on the second Saturday in July was perfect for the outdoor concert with Langhorne Slim and The Law~
A friend is dealing with a bear of a health challenge. I decided she needs a quilt in turquoise and rose. I have finished the top~
So there are projects to work on in August, when I get back from a visit with my son and his family in California. My granddaughter turned 1 yesterday, and we have been invited to a party;)

4 comments:

ellen abbott said...

love the door with all it's wonderful carvings. nice quilts and the recipients are lucky.

Helen said...

Would love to go walking with you at Thuya Gardens some day!

The turquoise and rose quilt-- what's the name of the pattern; or is it your own creation? I love how it draws my eye in- as to be centered - and also draws me out- as to look beyond or move onward. Beautiful colors pieced in the perfect pattern. Sure to bring a smile and comfort to your friend.

cindy said...

The photos are lovely, Sharon. From them I can see you have found a good balance between that more internal creative work with your quilts and taking advantage of nature in the summertime. I want to book a trip to Bar Harbor complete with fog. I love these grandbaby birthdays! I hope yours was splendid.

MsGraysea said...

What a wonderful post, Sharon.....so much beauty in your life this summer. Hope you had a great visit to CA for even more beauty!

The quilts are so nice. Your eye for color is a joy to behold, and so inspiring.

I once visited a most beautiful wild flower garden within Acadia National Park, and was spellbound by its collection and the information on the healing properties of the wild herbs. The peonies at the garden you visited were at the perfect point - so glad you were able to be there then.

Summer and now Fall have been very busy here. Teddy is in 3rd grade and loving it, so far.
My days are so full, but it is all good, albeit stressful at times with the demand. I will be going to CO on 9/26 for a much needed vacation with my sister. Seeing the Rockies and traveling up to Trail Ridge will be fun.

Fall s starting off beautifully here, and I hope the same for you!

Marcia