Saturday, June 10, 2023

The Final Family Piece Falls In Place

June 10 of last year was my 13th day in Morgantown, WV. It was the first time I would see my younger brother in twelve years, not since my older son's wedding in Boston. That was the last time all of us had been together. I am grateful we took advantage of the photographer's set-up for family photos ~ we enjoyed the time together that weekend and it shows.

It was only big events that brought us together once my mom married Charlie and moved to WV in 2003. We all made it to their wedding, another happy event as everyone there was glad for them. I was especially glad to see my mom happy. They lived in a small town in the mountains of eastern WV, not an easy place to get to from any direction. From my house it is a 15 hour trip, whether I drive or fly into a city that is still 3 hours away. There was no room for guests in their small trailer, which meant a stay in a run-down motel down the road. It was much easier for us to get together when she lived in Maryland, just outside D.C.

So I was glad my brother made the trip. I wanted to talk to him to see how he was doing. He has had serious health challenges and all I knew I had heard second-hand. It was good to hear his voice. We all sat and talked for a long time.

My sister decided to stay through the weekend because my brother and his partner were staying. She could stay in their room. I was leaving for Pennsylvania. I needed a solid night's sleep in a good bed and time to rest. I had one clean change of clothes and new socks and underwear from Target. 

It was bittersweet to say good-bye. I was glad I had had time with my brothers and sister. I didn't know when I would see them again. At the same time I felt okay about leaving. I had done what I had came to do, and while the outcome was not what I wanted, I had done all I could do.

I was 250 miles from the hotel in central Pennsylvania, an easy trip all things considered. My friend was driving an hour from her home Saturday morning and would stay the night at the hotel. We would have a good old-fashioned sleepover. I hoped she remembered the wine.   

No comments: