Tuesday, April 22, 2008

More Than Making Do

In recent days an old Yankee saying has been going through my mind ~ make do, do without, use it up, wear it out. I have always seen myself as a "make do" kind of gal, which is useful when creating Halloween costumes, making home repairs, eating all the leftovers, and keeping the bills paid. However, it's not useful when I expand my hopes for the future.

I did not know how to ask for more for myself. I have been uncomfortable thinking about what is possible if I do what I really want to do. Last fall I knew I was in trouble when I heard myself say that I would be more comfortable with failure than success. What is the message to the universe? That I expect to fail. What message am I sending myself? Do not expect much and I will not be disappointed.

All that I have learned over the past several months tells me that I have been going about this in the wrong way. I no longer need to ask for just enough because there is so much more. I can't begin to know what the universe has in store for me because I don't know the future. I can't plan for every eventuality because I don't know all that is possible. If I am open to whatever happens, then I open my life to more than I could ever imagine. The only limits are the ones I place on myself.

No comments: