Thursday, November 10, 2011

I Am Learning

I had planned a different post for today. I had a wonderful day with my daughter yesterday, not only because we got a lot accomplished but also because we enjoy each other's company. Today I was going to share that apple muffin recipe that has become a favorite around here. But this morning the disappointment in myself has come crashing down. Then the guilt landed hard because I have no reason to mope around ~ my life is good, my family is healthy ~ and I feel badly because I'm sad. I have errands to do and a trip out always helps. I wanted to check my reader before I left.... You know how sometimes the right words come to you at just the right moment? Well, with tears on my cheeks I want to share the poem that Jan posted today. I will be okay ~

After A While

After a while you learn
the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul
and you learn
that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't always mean security.
And you begin to learn
that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises
and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of woman,
not the grief of a child
and you learn
to build all your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is
too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down
in mid-flight.
After a while you learn
that even sunshine burns
if you get too much
so you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone
to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
you really are strong
you really do have worth
and you learn
and you learn
with every goodbye, you learn.

©1971 Veronica A. Shoffstall

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read this poem several times today - it fits here too. With love from everyone here (all snuggled in!) - knm

Helen said...

Words of wisdom. A poem to be read over and over and shared with girlfriends.

teri said...

Now I wish I could walk right over and give you a big hug. We could do some errands together.

That poem was indeed insightful- the line that struck me was "and you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of woman,
not the grief of a child." There are a lot of days I am not beyond that. Sigh-and that is ok for now. I was slow to read this post- here's to hoping today is brighter.

And just so you know I am going to make your acorn squash recipe today! Hubby is away (my personal chef) so I thought I would give it a try. Wish you were here - we could make it together! xo teri

MsGraysea said...

Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful poem. Perfect for me this day. Accepting and embracing change is not easy for me.
Wishing you lifted spirits. I was there yesterday and things are so much better today.

cindy said...

Sharon, feeling bad, depressed, upset is difficult to deal with...you probably know this trick already but what helps me is to drop the story (whatever is bringing me down) and focus on my body. How does the sorrow/anger express itself in physical form? And then I focus on my heart or my throat or my gut and kind of talk to it like a child: "there, there. I'm here to help. I'll stay with you until you feel better." And that poem was amazing!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, thank you. I needed this
so much has happened this week and early in the morning a cat scan.

Laura said...

Oh Sharon, I think being sad some days is really healthy. It means we are alive and truly feeling whatever is present in our hearts in the moment. Thanks so much for staying in touch, while I have been out of sorts a lot...lots and lots of tears...healthy tears born of love.

Cindy L said...

I've always loved this poem. The ultimate message of maturity and womanhood! Thanks for the reminder, Sharon!

MMH said...

Beautiful poem. Perfect for today - and everyday.