Wednesday, November 23, 2011

November Snow

Several weeks ago I learned that both of my sons would be spending the Thanksgiving holiday on the west coast. The trip coast to coast is costly and time consuming, not to mention it's not a trip just to Boston but then 150 miles north into Maine by bus or train. This is the first time there will be just three of us home for Thanksgiving, and I honestly couldn't face that reality. So my daughter and I started researching our options and found a lovely B&B on Cape Cod. Ken and I have never been to "the Cape" and off-season rates are affordable. We made reservations for the three of us, and since everyone has today off we were going to make a day of it today, too. That was the plan until Mother Nature decided to start winter early with almost a foot of snow in Central Maine. The bad news is that on top of the snow we lost power at 8:30 this morning. The good news is that the power is back on, the snow has stopped, and Ken has cleared the driveway. We are getting a late start but we are still going. The best news is that the weather for the rest of the weekend looks absolutely lovely. I wish all of you a safe, snowfree Happy Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

Joanne said...

The last time I went to the Cape was about twenty years ago for a long weekend, it's the perfect place for a getaway. And I've heard that Cape Cod is just beautiful this time of year, I think you'll love it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, with lots of happy moments :)

mermaid said...

I'm so glad you were able to travel and be with Ken and your daughter.

Your comments on my poems are truly helpful. They help to uncover a hidden layer of meaning that adds to their value for me. Thank you so much for your insights.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I've never been to the Cape, but long to go there one day. It seems very romantic and cultured, in an easy going, carefree way. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday. I think it was a great idea to shake things up a bit and do something different. It's never too late to start a new tradition.

Helen said...

Glad to hear that your trip did not have to be canceled due to weather. Looking forward to photos and a report about "the Cape" later this week.

Holidays often take on a new look as we get older and our family changes or is separated by miles. Great idea to spend Thanksgiving in a place where you can make new memories.

I feel so blessed and thankful. And espcially thankful for your long-term friendship and your open / sharing blog.

Anonymous said...

Cape Cod is my favorite place on earth and I dream of spending a holiday there. Please let us know how your getaway went!

cindy said...

Best laid plans, right? I think you know this, but both my sons are also on the west coast and both have decided (for financial reasons) to not come home for Xmas. Never again, one of them said. They come in August instead. Once my husband retires, we will go to them!

MsGraysea said...

I do hope you had a wonderful Cape Cod Thanksgiving. The Cape is my home and I cannot think of a more beautiful place to be. Cannot wait to hear about your stay.
Marcia

teri said...

Finally getting around to reading some blog posts. I remember you said you had plans for the cape. I cannot believe it snowed prior to leaving! And I did not know the cape was so far away!

My daughter and husband were there the week before you. I know not like you would recognize her if you were there at the same time... but it just feels like a near brush with being close to each other! - :-)