Sunday, November 20, 2011

Two Lost Pots

Today had promise. The sun was shining, the air was relatively warm for November, and there were projects that could be accomplished in a reasonable amount of time.

If things had gone as planned, that is.

Ken started things off by taking the bucket off the front of the tractor so he could attach the snowblower, which did not want to come off in the spring. Turns out it didn't want to go back on in the fall, either. There wasn't anything I could do to help. My strategy is always to look for answers, so I needed to just get out of the way.

I decided to start at the top of my list with re-potting the shamrocks, which flowered so beautifully this summer, so I could bring them in for the winter. I had set aside two square plastic pots the perfect size to sit down in earthen pots so the plants had proper drainage. But the pots were not where I left them or where they were before that or anywhere else I looked. I walked around the yard picking up a bit of this and that, wondering where those pots could be and deciding to move on down my list while I pondered other locations.

I wiped down the outside of the grill with glass cleaner.

Ken was still fighting with the tractor.

I put ceramic garden figures under the deck.

Then I moved inside to wash the outside of the living room windows. After thirty years of dealing with old, heavy, wood-framed windows with attached storms and screens, this house has Andersen windows that raise-and-tilt-in so that the outer pains [pun intended] can easily be wiped clean from the comfort of my living room.

At least that is how it worked the last time I washed the windows, two years ago. I am not obsessive about clean windows, so every other year is just about right. This afternoon I tried everything but I could not get any one of the six windows to release the top sash so it would tilt toward me. I could get the bottom sash to release but not one of the top windows would let go. I got online and watched a video demonstration on how to clean tilt-in windows. I was following each step correctly: raise bottom window six inches; push in clips on top of window and tilt window toward me; rest window on a stool; lower top sash until it stops; push in clips on top of the window and... it was stuck on the casing. I remember it being tight but I didn't remember having to pull on the window with such force. I checked another website for tips; I got a magnifying glass so I could read the tip strip on the inside at the top of the casing.

Finally I gave one of the top windows a good tug, and it tilted toward me. Success! I generously sprayed cleaner on the glass, wiped it with newspaper, and then went around the entire edge with a clean cloth. There!

I gently raised the window back into the casing, pushed it back in place...but it wouldn't stay up at the top. It kept sliding back down to the center of the casement. I lowered the window as far as I could, because there are clicks to listen for, and raised it again. No luck. The window would not stay up.

I broke the window. After forty-five minutes of fiddling with the windows I finally got one to tilt forward and now I couldn't get it to go back in place.

By now Ken had the snowblower attached. He walked out of the garage and I yelled down, "I broke the window!" He said he'd be right up to give me a hand, thinking that it was a simple problem.

Forty-five minutes later we had taken the window completely out of the casement, and Ken had taken the spring mechanism out of each side of the window to release the tension on the string so it would pop back into place and the window would go up and stay up once again.

Have you ever held an Andersen window in one position for forty-five minutes?

When we finished I was shaking. When I sat down to put my head between my knees, the tension released in me too. I couldn't believe the mess I got into just trying to wash the windows.

I regained my composure, put my coat back on, and determined that if nothing else I would get those shamrocks potted today. It occurred to me that the neighbor dogs may be having a bit of fun at my expense ~ I have noticed empty plant pots scattered about the driveway on the occasional morning this month. I had left the pots on the porch and that is one of the places they like to check out when they come to visit.

No matter. I found two round plastic pots in the garage that would suffice. Mission accomplished.

Ken then took the bold step of putting up the wreath I purchased yesterday. He asked if we should get the picnic table stored on the porch, but I thought that might be pushing our luck.

What I learned today:
Stay out of the way when Ken is detaching or attaching tractor implements.
Do not leave plastic pots neatly piled on the porch or under the deck.
My days of tilting windows are over.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I've had days like that, when everything is a little off, and by day's end, you just want to cross the day off the calendar and start again fresh the next day. Sheesh.

And let us know if you ever find those pots!

teri said...

Well if you lived near by you could come to my house and feel a bit better. While the husband is away this month I have started 6or 7 projects - I have completed one. AND I am so glad for the Anderson window story. I am afraid I have had the very same thing happen.

Wish me luck getting at least one more project done before next Monday. Why do I think I can get so much done?

Marie said...

I am glad you were able to fix your window before the snow started! And, perhaps, after winning the lottery, Ken will just have to buy another tractor. That way, he can leave one with the plow on all year, and one with it off!

Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen to me with my windows,grrrr! And some days are that way - mercury is retrograde or some such thing and you just have to chalk it up and go read a book! Jim and I had to do the same exact thing- he was mad at me for "breaking the window", on top of it all, sigh. NOw I can tell him I'm not alone- thanks!